Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus Antispyware 2011 issues after removal

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 iamconfuzzled

iamconfuzzled

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

We have succesfully (we think) removed this a couple of times from multiple computers in the last week or so. We run Rkill, then Malwarebytes. The current issue involves my college age daughter's computer which was hit after returning home for the summer. We fixed it a few days ago & she got another popup last night. She says firefox said it detected something so she closed firefox. Later she got a popup from a fake virus program (but she didn't note if it called itself the same thing). She ran Rkill, then Malwarebytes & MBAM removed 14 items. The college is funny about the programs the kids use, so her computer uses different programs than we do. Since clearing her first issue, she has been unable to use her Microsoft Security Essentials program. It says it isn't monitoring her computer because the program's service has stopped & we should restart it. Hitting start now gives us a message that the specified service does not exist as an installed service. She also has McAfee Security Scan plus & it says McAfee Web Protection is not found & mentions a dangerous website xemanhdep.com & get McAfee protection. If you click fix now, it wants you to buy another version of McAfee. Of course the college doesn't approve that version.

I have been having some issues with firefox & internet explorer, but think maybe I have those programs letting us get online now. (Posting from my own at the moment). The last scan with MBAM removed nothing, yet if I run Rkill I'm getting 3 terminated processes (InfDefaulInstall.exe, runonce.ex, grpconv.exe) & a message saying windows was configured to use a proxy server; settings were removed & if it was valid to click to allow the data to merge. I have no clue what this proxy message is about & if that might be part of why we're having internet issues. Could MBAM have removed files that are necessary for running MS Security Essentials & cause the messages about proxy stuff? It's showing her computer clean right now. I would re-download MS SE, but there are 2 files listed & I don't see anything telling me which one is best for her computer. The options are en-us\amd64\mseinstall.exe or en-us\x86\mseinstall.exe Anyone know how to tell which one is right for her comptuer? Any other thoughts on what else I should be doing?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 04 May 2011 - 12:02 AM.
Moved to AII for initial assistance. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users