Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card won't start code 10

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 jackngwen2004

jackngwen2004

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:46 PM

Help!! I am having problems with the graphic cards and had a secondary hard drive fail on me as well. My computer uses Windows XP Pro. I started having problems booting up and had to remove my "D" drive to get it to clear up the first time I had a problem. The second problem I got was the Graphics card quit on me. It was a Geforce 8800. I was bringing up the computer and noticed a series of dots all over the monitor. I went to the Device Manager and saw the yellow circle with the exclamation point in it. I uninstalled the card and reinstalled as I was directed but it would never come up. I then ordered and received a new unit, it is a GeForce 550 GTX 512. I installed it in accordance with the manual and all was good for about 2 weeks and now it has done the same thing that the 8800 did. I found lines all across the monitor and found the device manager saying that the Graphics card was not configured correctly. I followed the troubleshooting advice and uninstalled and installed and the problem went away. It only lasted for about 5 minutes and it went out again. I tried the same thing and it has not worked since and now I get: this device cannot start Code 10. Something has to be taking these cards out. I have a 22 inch flat screen monitor. The graphics card plug into the motherboard on the pci express slot and is powered by the power supply. There is not much that it is connected to so what do you think may be my problem? I will appreciate any help. Thank you for your time. Jack Perrin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:33 PM

How many watts is your power supply?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:14 PM

and what kind of Power supply? the common reason for code 10 is the "Assign IRQ to VGA" option is not enabled in your BIOS, but its possible its a power issue as well.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 jackngwen2004

jackngwen2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:23 PM

I am running a Stealth X Stream Power Supply @ 600 Watts. This seems like it would be plenty of power supply. The 8800 I had first ran in this computer for over 2 years without any problems. As I mentioned the 550 only lasted for a short time. I will check the Assign IRQ to VGA option to make sure it is enabled in the BIOS. I have plenty of fans on this unit to assist in keeping it cool. I am also running an Intel Quad four processor. This unit had two hard drives but one of them started causing problems. It was a 10,000 RPM Raptor drive. I am using a Western Digital main drive now. I had the redirect virus and had to use the ComboFix to rid myself of it. Could this have caused any problems? I had to do this operation about a month ago. I have had problems of one sort or another ever since I had the Malware problem. Once again I thank you for taking the time to assist me with this problem and commend you for the help you offer to those of us who really need it. Thank you again. Jack Perrin

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:57 PM

Did you run the combofix on your own, or under the supervision of a trained malware removal expert?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 jackngwen2004

jackngwen2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:52 PM

I ran it by using a step by step instruction. I followed it exactly as stated and it cleared up the problem and everything worked fine afterwards. I had no problems for about 2-3 weeks after this.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:58 PM

Did you have the Combofix Log Analyzed?

If not then please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<==.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Once you have created the new topic, please reply back here with a link to the new topic.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:35 AM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic396360.html you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users