Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD and Continuous Restarting

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mr.Angry

Mr.Angry

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:05 PM

Alright, I'm gonna get right to it since I'm in a bit of a hurry. If you would like to skip the text wall then below it is my attempt at a short version.

Here's the exact description of how it happened: I was playing the in browser version of Minecraft on the multiplayer server that I host when suddenly everything froze. I waited for about a minute and then ctrl-alt-deleted my way to task manager, from there I closed Internet Explorer and Skype but not before noticing that my Minecraft server had lost connection as well. Everything closed fine and seemed normal but I noticed that my computer was still thinking fairly hard about, what appeared to be, nothing in particular. I gave it a couple minutes and then opened task manager again. There I noticed that the only thing taking up any memory at all was a program called csrss.exe and that it was not listed as Owner, unlike the other items in the list. I got suspicious so I looked csrss.exe up on the internet and discovered that, although it is supposed to be part of the OS, some viruses would disguise themselves as csrss.exe. Reading this I decied (perhaps foolishly) to end the csrss.exe process. When I did an error window popped up stating that it is not possible to end the process. I thought that was odd as well, so I opened Malwarebytes and updated it. I began a quick scan using Malwarebytes and opened IE again (perhaps foolishly). I opened fine and seemed to be running normally but then, before I had clicked anything I got the BSOD stating that windows had close etc. It closed and then immediately restarted, I, wanting to err on the side of caution pressed F8 until it brought me to the Advanced Startup screen. There I clicked safe mode where it promptly froze while loading crcdisk.sys. I gave it another couple minutes and then shut down the computer. I decided to try it in safe mode with networking which froze momentarily at crcdisk.sys, flashed the BSOD and then restarted the computer. Safe Mode with command prompt has the same result as Safe Mode w/networking. I decide to let it start up normally and it gets to a point, BSOD's, and restarts, resulting in an endless cycle. I try to start using last known good configuration which BSOD's and restarts. I decide to try system restore and it seems to start normally but then only gives me the option to do a Full factory recovery. I then stop the computer automatically restarting so that I can get a look at the BSOD. At the bottom of the BSOD it says:

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190445,0x8601CDB0, 0xC0000102,00000000)

That's when I begin making this post.

So, the short version:
-Problem: BSOD continuously restarts computer.
-Have not installed anything recently.
-Things I have already tried:
*Start Normally. Result: BSOD flash and restart. Sometimes a screen titled Windows Error Recovery appears and gives two options: Launch Startup Repair (reccomended) and Start Windows Normally.
*Safe Mode. Result: Freezes at crcdisk.sys for a long time and then eventually goes to the System Recovery screen.
*Safe Mode With Networking. Result: Freezes momentarily at crcdisk.sys then the BSOD flashes and the comp. restarts.
*Repair Your Computer. Result: Starts normally but only gives option to perform a Full factory recovery.
*Last Known Good Configuration. Result: BSOD flash and restart.
-Additional Info: I believe I am running the 32 bit version of Windows Vista Home Premium

Ok, sorry for the massive post, but I wanted to give all the information I have. Also, I'm not extremely good with computers so anything you would like me to do beyond what's listed above you may need to explain slightly. I will check this thread every few minutes for the next three hours, so expect a fast response from me.

Thank you for any and all help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:54 AM

STOP 24 errors...can be indicative of several problems.

A damaged/missing file...which normally may be overcome by running the chkdsk /r command.

A damaged file system (NTFS)...which probably can be overcome only by deleting the current partition.

A damaged/failing hard drive, which can be checked by running the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's utility.

Every file you named...can be a valid Windows file...and damaging one may lead to other errors.

From what I've looked at...crcdisk.sys errors all involve hard drive detection/utility.

More generic info on STOP 24 errors, http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm , click 24 in left column.

Louis

When I see errors like this, I tend to think of replacing the CMOS battery as a first step. A failing battery can cause previously unknown error messages on a system.

Edited by hamluis, 05 May 2011 - 09:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users