Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Motherboard & Recovery Discs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mediokrates

Mediokrates

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:26 PM

Hi all

I had a few questions.

I recently resolved an issue with my computer, thanks again to bleeping computer!

The few times that I had major issues with my computer, I used my recovery discs to restore the computer to factory settings, and re-installed everything.

Last year, I had to replace my motherboard twice. Once was within warranty with Bestbuy, and they created new recovery discs for me. The problem was, 1.5 months after the warranty on the replacement motherboard was over, that motherboard died, and BB refused to do anything for me. So much for shopping there again.

I took my computer to a reputable computer build & repair shop. They replaced my motherboard with an upgraded version:
ASUS M2N68-AM SE2

(I don't know what version BB had put in under warranty, but I still have it.)

What I want to know is if there is a way I could ever use my recovery discs, either the originals, or the 2nd set BB gave me, should I ever need to recover my computer? The new motherboard came with a disc titled: NVIDIA MCP68 SE Chipset Support DVD Rev.519.01., but I don't really know what it is for.

My understanding is (I'm hardly an expert) that my new motherboard will not work with my recovery discs, and that I would probably have to send my computer in to be reprinted or something to HP for new discs. Is that so?

Will I ever be able to recovery my PC again, if need be? I do have a dedicated D Recovery Drive, but I've never used it.

XP Pro SP3
HP Pavilion m7580n

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:55 PM

AFAIK...Best Buy follows the protocol as stated...meaning they create recovery disks after the system is up/running.

I would anticipate that there is no way to use recovery disks from a different motherboard...drivers/settings will be completely different.

Since I don't know anything about how recovery partitions work, I cannot address that...but my guess is that partition includes files for a motherboard that no long is in the system.

I don't know what you asked this shop to do...but I would have thought that creating or asking for recovery disks...or backup procedures...would have been useful.

If you just clone the hard drive or the system partition to a second drive...there is no need for restore/recovery disks. Of course, that has to be done before problems develop.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01874595&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&site=null&product=3189598&key=null#N54

Louis

#3 Mediokrates

Mediokrates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:25 PM

Thanks for replying Louis,

I used to work as a sales & cs supervisor for a major ISP here. All the tech supervisors recommended this shop both internally and externally.
My girlfriend's dad who is also fairly computer literate also recommended the place.

When I took the computer in, they diagnosed the motherboard as faulty, which BB said they couldn't do b/c they didn't have the equipment, but they thought it was the mb.

They also rebuilt my operating system (not really sure what they meant there... reconfig to work on the new mb?).

When I asked about recovery discs, I think they said something about being prompted to insert the disc(the one they gave me for the new motherboard).
I must admit there was a bit of a language barrier as english was not their native language, so I'm not exactly sure whether they understood me fully, or if I understood them fully.

I took what they said to mean that I could use my original discs but would be prompted to install the disc for the new motherboard at some point.

Looking online, I haven't found anything to corroborate this. Most everyone agrees that my recovery discs are useless.
I don't have the courage to try, cause I don't want to screw up my computer beyond repair.

As for the partitioned drive, I assumed that the information stored there was from the original motherboard, so it would be no good. Once again, not brave enough to try.

Anyway, when I got the computer home from that shop it started up and worked fine. The only difference was that a screen for the mb appeared at the beginning of boot up.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:51 PM

I would forget about the disks...and clone the partition/drive onto another hard drive. Plenty of software that will do this...ones that I have used/tried are Macrium Reflect and Easeus Partition Master.

A cloned drive is an exact copy, functionally it's much better than any restore/recovery mechanism, IMO.

Louis

#5 Mediokrates

Mediokrates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:06 PM

Thanks Louis,

I emailed HP support...
and they recommended the same thing, as my recovery discs will not work with a non HP motherboard.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:44 AM

I think you will be safer and happier with a cloned partition/drive.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users