Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

which Windows 7 is best for me?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mighttuss

Mighttuss

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:21 PM

I was just looking around on prices of Window 7.I been running Vista now for a little over a year.I been dieing to get Windows 7 pro,at Wal-mart for $199.99! I see it cheaper on-line at different places.But was wondering witch windows 7 is the best tho!

Microsoft Windows 7 prof.
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:06 PM

You can compare editions of Windows 7 here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

In my opinion, unless you need those special features that come with Pro and Ultimate, I'm sure Home Premium would be fine. Don't get Ultimate just because it's the Ultimate.

I have Pro because that's what I get through MSDN AA. If not for that, I'd probably have Home Premium.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:39 PM

i agree with ninja,base your decision on you needs.so what are your needs

I have Ultimate but dont need it ,got it free for hosting a win7 coming out party [lucky for me],i also have access to most other version windows,and win7 versions[from msdn subscription] because of a mvp program award ,truth be know i thing for what i use a computer for i could still be using win98,lol' but i really really like using win7, i never used Vista on a daily bases ,went from using xp to 7 overnight.

Edited by caperjac, 03 May 2011 - 04:41 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 Mighttuss

Mighttuss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:49 PM

Ok thinks Everyone for your input on this subject.Do any of you guys or Gals no where the cheapest place is to buy Windows 7 pro?

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:43 PM

Here, if you're a student with a .edu email address.

Otherwise, Newegg is always a good place to buy from: http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=368&name=Operating-Systems
OEM discs are cheaper than retail, but only include one bit (32 or 64) copy of Windows 7. Retail packages have both 32 and 64-bit, but you can only install and use one of the two at a time.

You might find a deal, discount, or coupon elsewhere, but be careful who you buy from. Newegg is a trusted retailer, hence why I recommend them.

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:04 AM

Windows 7. Retail packages have both 32 and 64-bit, but you can only install and use one of the two at a time

on different machines of course that statement is true . but i installed both on my laptop ,im duel booting both 32 and 64 bits,

Edited by caperjac, 20 May 2011 - 05:05 AM.

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:19 AM

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Read-the-Microsoft-Software-License-Terms

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a. One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.”
b. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.
c. Number of Users. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, only one user may use the software at a time.
d. Alternative Versions. The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and 64-bit. You may install and use only one version at one time.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 20 May 2011 - 11:19 AM.

#8 jtmiles

jtmiles

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:10 AM

If you don't need to join a domain at home home will work fine. I have been purchasin mine at newegg.com as of late. Also, if you need more than one license and are member of Costco, online they (and perhaps others) have a home 3 pack for $125. MS came out with that right at release. Then it disappeared for a while (when I really wanted it!) and now it is available again. hope this helps.

#9 jtmiles

jtmiles

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:13 AM

sorry, as a follow on - that is an upgrade version of home at COSTCO. :blink:

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 05:19 PM

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Read-the-Microsoft-Software-License-Terms

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.
a. One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.”
b. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.
c. Number of Users. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, only one user may use the software at a time.
d. Alternative Versions. The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and 64-bit. You may install and use only one version at one time.

again ,i stand corrected ,i never actually read the Eula,i guess because it installed and activated it was ok to do Bill G .i will delete the 64bit tomorrow honest !

#11 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:25 PM

i never actually read the Eula

Nobody ever does. But by using the software, you are bound to the agreement whether you read it or not. You agreed to it when you installed Windows, and you're responsible for abiding by it.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm preaching to you, but that's the truth according to M$ and how they license their software.

#12 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2011 - 07:23 AM

sorry if it sounds like I'm preaching to you, but that's the truth according to M$ and how they license their software.

i should know better

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:13 AM

FWIW: The family pack versions (upgrade, Home Premium) (3 installs/licenses for $140 or so) is available at various vendors, including Amazon, Tiger Direct, etc.

A Google will provide more info.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users