Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected? or other error

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mediokrates

Mediokrates

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:08 AM

Hi again,

I just want to say thanks for all the help that I've received here.

I was recently cleaning out my computer of random junk files... mostly pictures and movies I didn't watch anymore.

I began to notice that some of my folder images were randomly changing.
Not always because I had deleted or renamed the selected jpg for the folder image. And only certain folders.

For example... inside the folder My Pictures, I have multiple folders, some with multiple sub-folders. Sometimes if I altered the display order or re-named the selected jpg for that sub-folder, the folder image would change to a random jpg within My Pictures, not one from within the folder. Typically I could change it back, but normally if I did this it would return to default.

Even weirder, the image for My Pictures changed to a random jpg. I had created the selected image using the Folder.gif method, as the original folder does not give a Customize option. I could not change the image back. I renamed the folder, created a replacement My Pictures folder and moved everything over, deleting the original.

Searching online, I tried to download a folder fix-tool from microsoft. I had to update my .net framework to use the tool from 1.1 to 3whatever, but this altered the performance of my computer that I was not happy. I did not end up using the tool

Due to these and other issues, I just restored my computer to 3 weeks ago.

However, I just noticed that one of the subfolders had randomly changed.

AVG 2011 Free has found nothing.
I also use Spywareblaster (just recently uninstalled) and Malwarebytes.
No viruses found.

Any suggestions?

"Edit: I just transfered a movie from one folder to another. When I did this, the first folder image went from the default to a random jpg image from one of the My Pictures subfolders."

XP Professional SP3
AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 4600+
NVideo GForce 7300LE

HP Pavilion m7580n

Edited by Mediokrates, 03 May 2011 - 10:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mediokrates

Mediokrates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:44 PM

OK, I don't think it is a virus.

I think it is a registry error.

I had used a registry cleaner prior to this error occuring.
The actual symptom occurs whenever I make changes to a folder's contents, the selected image for the folder within Preferences - Customize either reverts to the default or changes all together. The "Also apply this template to all subfolders" option may also be affected.

Also, when I create a New Folder, and place a file within it, then remove that file, the New Folder now has a selected image, randomly selected from within the My Pictures folder.

Sometimes when I create a New Folder, it is created with an image already.

Also, my view settings are changing randomly. Normally I have my folders set to thumbnails, but sometimes they are defaulting to tiles.

Anyway to correct this?

I am unable to do system restore, as a another issue forced me to delete all my previous restore points.

Edited by Mediokrates, 03 May 2011 - 07:20 PM.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:49 PM

Hello, Spyware Blaster is not a removal tool. It prevents it from installing so that is not a fix.
You may havw a deeper malware so let's run this.

Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.exe) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!
Be sure to download TDSSKiller.exe (v2.4.0.0) from Kaspersky's website and not TDSSKiller.zip which appears to be an older version 2.3.2.2 of the tool.
  • Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it.
  • To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to How to change the file extension.
  • Click the Start Scan button.
  • Do not use the computer during the scan
  • If the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
  • Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
  • A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it. To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to these[/color] instructions. In some cases it may be necessary to redownload TDSSKiller and randomly rename it before downloading and saving to the computer.

If nothong was there than it may be a System file so run Please run SFC (System File Checker). If this did not help you may need to ask in XP.
Please run System File Checker sfc /scannow... For more information on this tool see How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

[color="#006400"]NOTE for Vista/WIN 7 users..The command needs to be run from an Elevated Command Prompt.
Click Start, type cmd into the Start/Search box,
right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select 'Run as Administrator'

You will need your operating system CD handy.

Open Windows Task Manager....by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Then click File.. then New Task(Run)

In the box that opens type sfc /scannow ......There is a space between c and /

Click OK
Let it run and insert the CD when asked.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Mediokrates

Mediokrates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:25 AM

Thanks for replying...

Ran Tdsskiller2.5.0
No threats found.

Ran Scannow but it asked for the Windows XP SP3 CD, which I don't have, (my computer came pre-installed) and gave no options to select I386.

I do have a "copy" of an older version of XP though, will that do?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,279 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:31 AM

I don't think it is a virus.

I don't think so either. I have always had problems with miniature pictures on the folder icon changing whenever working with photos on both my computer and my wife's. There probably is a way to manage how this works but I have not investigated as I have not been overly concerned what shows up on the icon folder. From my experience, usually the most recent .jpg image of a photo I put in a folder....that image appears on the icon folder but that is not always the case.

The fact that you used a registry cleaner probably deleted some entries which should not have been removed and made things worst. That is one of several reasons BC does not recommend using registry cleaners.

Which cleaner did you use? Did you create a backup before using the cleaner? If so, most will allow you to restore the backup or individual entries the program deleted.

While it never hurts to check for malware when you find unusual things going on, what you describe is not typically a symptom of infection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Mediokrates

Mediokrates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:55 AM

Hi quietman

It is quite often the last jpg handled, but not always.

I had an unrelated issue recently, which forced me to do a few restores. I finally restored to 4/14/2011, the day before yesterday. However, with the number of restores I had done, my system volume information/restore was bloated at almost 30GB. I ended up cleaning the disk and removing all the restores, but for one point I had just created.

After I restored to 4/14/2011, I'm pretty sure I used ccleaner, and I think that's when the problem arose.
I didn't back-up the registry at that time... however, I do have 2 copies of the registry backed up from 4/13/2011, the very first time I used ccleaner. The day before my restored point.

Will that be of any use?

I now know that I shouldn't have used ccleaner, and have uninstalled and deleted it. I can redownload it, if required to restore the backed up registry.

Will the fact that my computer is currently operating from a restored point after the registry back ups were made be an issue?

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,279 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:29 AM

I do have 2 copies of the registry backed up from 4/13/2011, the very first time I used ccleaner.

Where were they saved to? A System Restore should not have affected those. However, I have no way of knowing what else ccleaner removed so using your backups is a decision you have to make.

BTW, CCleaner is safe and useful for removing temporary and junk files so there is no need to completely remove it.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Mediokrates

Mediokrates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:38 AM

My Bad,

I only uninstalled ccleaner, I still have the install program. So I can reinstall it no problem.

As for the registry backups, I saved the registry the first 2 times I used ccleaner. There are 2 .reg files saved in My Documents.

I'm certainly willing to give it a shot.

I can create a restore point before I do it, just in case something worse happens.

#9 Mediokrates

Mediokrates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:59 PM

For anyone still interested...

I think I solved the problem...

I was loosing my preferences for my folders, particularly the view setting ie, icon, thumbnail etc..., my folder image was changing either to default or another image when ever a change was made within that folder, and New Folders were being created with a selected image already. Many times, the image would be the last image selected.

Anyway, I went into the tools options and reset the defaults for all folders
then I altered the basic preferences for a main folder, and applied those settings to all folders.
I then had to reapply each individual's specific preferences ie selected image.

After a few restarts... the selected images are holding, despite changes made within the folder, the view setting is holding, and new folders are created normally.

Somehow the default must've gotten messed up.

BTW... I tried restoring my saved registry back-ups and that did not solve the problem, even though they pre-dated the emergence of the issue.

Thanks

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,279 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:01 PM

Glad to hear you resolved it.