Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about templog"xxxxxxx" files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pori

Pori

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:02 AM

Evening all, hope if found the right spot for this one.

Over the last couple of weeks ive been having problems with the amount of free storage space on my Hard Drive. After a quick clean out i had managed to get back a decent amount of room. However during the last week or so that space seems to have suddenly dissapeared. i have sat there and watched the capacity of the drive fall every time i refresh the screen to see how much room i had left.

now i am back down to a mere 300mb. While trawling through every folder on my computer trying to find what it was ( i wasnt activley downloading anything) i came across these 3 files in C:\Documents and Settings\HP_Owner\Local Settings\Temp

Between the 3 of them theres a massive 60GB of i dont know what. They are named templog0000A6F6 / templog0006590E / templog0001E557. all are showing as being a WinRAR archive however when i try to open them to explore a bit i cant.

Firstly, are they safe to delete? would probably solve part of my problem :thumbsup:

Secondly, what are they and how did they get there?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:32 AM

First thing I have to ask is do you have any peer to peer programs like Bit Torrent installed?

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:39 AM

1) Files in your \temp folder are safe to delete after a reboot (I say after a reboot because when you install a new app it sometimes places a file in the temp folder that needs to run on the next boot to complete the installation).

2) If I were you I'd post in the Am I Infected forum just to be safe. The size and number of those files is worrisome.

#4 Pori

Pori
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:45 AM

First thing I have to ask is do you have any peer to peer programs like Bit Torrent installed?

I do use Vuze but never leave it running if im not activley downloading

1) Files in your \temp folder are safe to delete after a reboot (I say after a reboot because when you install a new app it sometimes places a file in the temp folder that needs to run on the next boot to complete the installation).

2) If I were you I'd post in the Am I Infected forum just to be safe. The size and number of those files is worrisome.

Thanks for this i'll repost there. I'll also do a restart afterwards prior to any action.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:15 AM

OP has reposted in Am I Infected, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic395221.html/page__p__2231853#entry2231853 .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users