Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Home.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cyclops

cyclops

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:15 AM

Hi everybody, I want to update from WINS 98 to XP HOME, and I want to be sure I DONT cock it up.
so heres a few questions to start me off. Before I START what do I need to back up? by that I mean EVERYTHING. FAVS, DOCS, ADDRESS BOOK, and what else? What do I do about NORTON INT SEC 2005? Do I have to disconnect my printer and scanner, or leave them as they are. I would like to know all these things before I attempt to upgrade. Im a little old in the tooth, 73yrs old thats why Im asking. RIGHT NOW IVE GOT 98 WORKING REASONABLY WELL and its only because I had this XP bought for me 12 months ago at a cost of something like 70 and its going to waste sitting here still in the folder in he drawer.
It would be a great help to me. THANKS VERY MUCH. CYCLOPS :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:
oh and I nearly forgot, do I need to be disconnected from the web when installing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:41 AM

Hi everybody, I want to update from WINS 98 to XP HOME, and I want to be sure I DONT cock it up.
so heres a few questions to start me off. Before I START what do I need to back up? by that I mean EVERYTHING. FAVS, DOCS, ADDRESS BOOK, and what else?

Everything you can't replace. You can't save installed programs, so if you have them download to your hard drive burn the unistalled program to cd. They will tipically be in .zip format where ever you store your downloaded files. Download a copy of Everest Home and print the specs you retrieve about your computer. Locate and download the drivers from the internet for you computer, video, NIC, modem,...you get the idea. That way you have them for the XP upgrade. These drivers will be different from the '9x series drivers.

What do I do about NORTON INT SEC 2005?

Trash it! There are much better alternative that are freeware. If you are compeled to spend money there are still better choices the Norton or MacAfee. IMHO.

Do I have to disconnect my printer and scanner, or leave them as they are. I would like to know all these things before I attempt to upgrade.

No, you do not have to disconnect anything. The one exception will be USB. USB drivers need to be installed before you plug the USB device in. Other than that leave it all connected.

Im a little old in the tooth, 73yrs old thats why Im asking. RIGHT NOW IVE GOT 98 WORKING REASONABLY WELL and its only because I had this XP bought for me 12 months ago at a cost of something like 70 and its going to waste sitting here still in the folder in he drawer.

The move to XP is the right move. The '9x series was problematic from the start. You well be much happier with XP. It has a learning curve but after a few weeks you will be up to full speed.

It would be a great help to me. THANKS VERY MUCH. CYCLOPS :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:
oh and I nearly forgot, do I need to be disconnected from the web when installing?

No as a matter of fact you installation will go much smoother if you are connected to the net. XP will want to download software and it will require an internet connection.

Good Luck.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:46 AM

As long as you are Quite Sure you want to update your operating system(and have sufficient RAM (256 Minimum) and processor speed, then I suggest you do a complete and fresh installation of XP, which will mean that everything on your hard drive will be lost- - -this includes all applications you have installed and all documents and music/picturefiles.
You need not disconnect your peripherals, since once you first boot XP it will look for these (plug and play) and sort everything out, more or less. Since you are doing a new installation, you will be unable to connect to the internet during the process.
Before connecting, be sure you have your AV and firewall up and running.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users