Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer One ZG5 & Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JacobHall

JacobHall

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:11 AM

Hello there BleepingComputer,

I would like to try and fix a problem thats always happening, sometimes twice a day. Basically, my windows 7 installation will just freeze, and will require me to manually shut down the computer. Now, this is not a ram problem as only half of it is used, I have monitored the temperature of the laptop too and that is not abnormal.

So what could it be, there are no errors put into the error log for windows, just the abnormal shutdown(By me) so do you have any ideas?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:13 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 JacobHall

JacobHall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:18 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/vfLtl8hqXE46ZgSieeMrr5l

Thanks

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:03 PM

For one thing, you really need more RAM then 1.5Gigs for Windows Vista or later. I would recommend adding more RAM, and also If this is a netbook, then I would highly recommend putting the OS that came on it.

#5 JacobHall

JacobHall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:09 PM

Hello Crypto,

Its personal preference, I have optimised my copy to run on half and max hitting 75% of the ram, it runs perfectly and just how Windows 7 is portrayed to run, it is not a Ram problem as a few days ago about 6 minutes after booting the laptop into Windows 7, it just froze. I had taskmanager up and the time and ram usage wasn't even hitting the half-way point.

I have also tried reinstalling, still no luck. I have read somewhere that it was something to do with the BIOS, and needed editing slightly however I never really understood it.

Thanks

#6 JacobHall

JacobHall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:12 PM

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=16164

The OP there explains exactly what happens, just randomly happens when it decides to do it, however you can do nothing with it until you reboot it. (Mouse doesn't move, nothing does.) Any sound just gets changed to a buzzing sound(crashed sound?)

Thanks once again

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:19 PM

There is a reason why Netbooks come with limited versions of Windows 7 or XP, and that is because of limited resources on the netbooks such as slower then normal processors and the availability of RAM. You can optimise all you want, but in the end your netbook will run far better with the Operating System that came pre-installed on it. If you wanted Ultimate with all the bells and whistles then you should have purchased a lap top instead of a netbook. Please put back Windows 7 Starter or the OS that came on it, and use it as it is. A computer should never reach that much ram useage. At 75% of RAM useage each time you open a program it will use more RAM and eventually go into paging, which is probably where it freezes. Your computer cannot handle Windows 7 Ultimate, and that is a plane and simple fact.

#8 JacobHall

JacobHall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:33 PM

Yes, that is completely understood however I purchased Windows 7 Ultimate, but I will look at changing to another copy. Starter, that is not what I really want to install if I am honest would Home run ok?

The laptop originally came with Windows XP, but the XP OS runs so badly and I really can't be bothered to be using such an old operating system.

Also, starter is very stripped down and seems to me like a cash-cow for those not wanting XP, where they are only really upgrading to a better looking XP.

Thank you for your time and advice

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:48 PM

Its the limitation of your netbook that is limiting you to what you can and cannot run. If it had Windows XP on it, what made you think it could run Windows 7 Ultimate? I would highly recommend that you reinstall Windows XP, and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.

#10 JacobHall

JacobHall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:00 PM

I have them both Dual-boot, and I was recommended by a friend to buy ultimate.. I will be having words.

I have run the tool, and it said Home Professional should run fine, so I will buy a copy of that and install it. Thanks!

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:16 PM

You are welcome, and if you can add a little bit more memory to the machine.

#12 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:55 PM

it has been said,by someone on the net ? [wasn't me ]! that you will eventually burn out the netbooks cpu by running it the way you are ! unless you only planned on using it for surfing the net and checking email you should have bought a laptop '
and your opinion on win7 starter being a cash cow is the same as my opinion of Netbooks ,just a cash cow ,i see so many of them not being used because people thought they were just small laptops and could do the same job ,no so

a neighbour of mine once bought Volkswagen Beetle ,but it didn't last long, before he burnt out the engine,hauling his travel trailer and 6 kids around in it all the time

Edited by caperjac, 03 May 2011 - 04:59 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#13 JacobHall

JacobHall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:50 PM

Hello there,

I use my netbook a lot, and to be fair I don't really care if I burn the CPU out I am currently custom building a computer anyway.

Home Premium has not frozen once, thanks for your help Crypto!

-Jake

PS: I called Windows 7 Starter a cash-cow.

Edited by Super Panda, 06 May 2011 - 06:50 PM.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2011 - 05:51 AM

You are welcome Super Panda. Happy Computing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users