Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flickering white screen...reboot loop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 prncess23

prncess23

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:03 AM

Hello everyone,
I really hope you can help me.

I was searching online and the screen went white and became static-y. I turned it off...tried to restart but now it's restarting and shutting down in a loop...I took the battery out...it's not doing the loop thing anymore.

I waited about 5 minutes, started without the battery and it started but then I got the white screen again that flickers/static so I turned it off. Been waiting for 10 minutes now. I started it again and was glad it went to the windows screen, then it scrambled up again. I hit control+alt+delete. it restarted, then went into windows. It said windows failed to start and to launch startup repair. I did that. It found the problem and fixed it and told me to restart. When i did, the whole thing happened all over again static-y white screen, then reboots by itself in a loop).

I have an hp dv6812nr laptop, with windows 7.

I have everything on my computer and cannot afford to lose anything on here.

If worse comes to worse, i have a HDD enclosure, where ill just pop the HDD into that, and copy over my files, programs, photos and music. I sure hope i dont have to do that though...220GB :(

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:23 AM

try plugging in an external monitor. if it works then your monitor is bad. if it does not work then it could be graphics hardware or drivers.

how old ? warranty ?

Edited by caperdog, 04 May 2011 - 09:25 AM.

#3 prncess23

prncess23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:38 AM

I explained my problem to the tech and he said that my system board is messed up.

i bought it in August of 2008. No warranty. Never had any problems before.

#4 prncess23

prncess23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:26 PM

Okay so i had my brother open the laptop up.

He couldnt find anything wrong with it. Everything is connected and looks good.

He took the battery out of the motherboard, let it sit and then put it back in. It started up, but the sound is garbled and the windows logo is distorted. But, the login screen is fine and so is everything after that. Is my windows corrupted? Is that what is causing all these problems?

Also, when i tried to restart it, it doesnt do anything.

#5 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:48 PM

hope you cleaned the dust out of it while you had it apart. clogged fans and heatsinks can cause overheating.

so screen is screwy at boot but you can log in and use the machine normally ? but you cannot restart from windows, does the shut down option work ?

#6 prncess23

prncess23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:06 AM

hope you cleaned the dust out of it while you had it apart. clogged fans and heatsinks can cause overheating.

so screen is screwy at boot but you can log in and use the machine normally ? but you cannot restart from windows, does the shut down option work ?

the hp logo is fine, the windows logo is distorted, the login screen is fine and so is the desktop. Then, it just shut down on its own and wouldnt restart. I even changed the battery in the motherboard, same problem. Yes, you can hit shutdown, but it will not restart. The lights of the laptop will turn on, then before anything on the screen shows up, it shuts down.

#7 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:44 PM

most of what i have been reading about your laptop is a lot of overheating which leads to motherboard failures.

HP says to do a hard reset http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01684768&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&rule=32024&product=3696823 i don't think that will work for you, but may as well give it a shot.

if heatsinks are clean and fans are working, re-seat CPU with new thermal paste. if it will not run after that then the tech is probably right, its the motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users