Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major problems following Vista updates/MS Removal Tool

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lxndr

lxndr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:41 AM

I'm not a Windows user myself although generally familiar with Windows. A friend asked if I could fix his laptop which runs Vista as it had become infected with "MS Removal Tool" malware.

I followed the instructions on this site for its removal to the letter and everything appeared to go according to plan. Then, having deleted the old HOSTS file and replaced it with a new one I attempted to reboot. At this point Vista ran a number of updates (13 in total) which I allowed to complete.

The reboot went OK in the sense that there was no sign of MS Removal Tool still being active but there are a lot of problems. I'm unable to launch Task Manager, the blue screen appears having hit CTL-ALT-DEL but on selecting Task Manager there is some disk activity but nothing else happens and no Task Manager appears. Clicking on Control Panel from the Start Menu also does nothing. So does right mouse clicking on My Computer. Attempting to go back to a Restore Point doesn't work either. Trying to run most of the installed programs does nothing although I am able to run Internet Explorer and connect to the internet. Trying to run gpedit.msc also does nothing except a Search results window appears. Interestingly, if I click the Control Panel icon found under Folders on the search results screen the Control Panel icons appear. However, clicking on the individual CP icons appears to do nothing.

I also tried activating the hidden Admin login but that seems to suffer from the same problems.

Not being a user of Vista I'm sort of out of ideas now as to what the problem may be or how to resolve it and unable to determine if the problem has been caused by MS Removal Tool or the Vista updates. Either way would appreciate any suggestions as to what can be done.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lxndr

lxndr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:08 AM

Just to add that I've just booted into Safe Mode and the various problems don't seem to occur there. Not sure what the significance of that would be. Am trying to run an online Housecall scan.

#3 lxndr

lxndr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:20 AM

Just to report that I seem to have got rid of the problem by switching UAC back on, rebooting and then switching it back off again and rebooting. Have no idea why this fixed the problem, just happy to have things working again. Have to say in passing Vista is a truly awful operating system.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:27 PM

Glad you resolved it, thanks for posting feedback :).

Louis

#5 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:57 PM

Have to say in passing Vista is a truly awful operating system.

I intend to agree with you lxndr. I went from good 'ol XP and upgraded to Vista. My experience was nothing short of "strange". Things suddenly not working, blue screens, unable to log on to standard accounts and this:

Windows Update one day just did not work. The service would not start or would start then stop. The only way to fix it was to uninstall my firewall. That worked, temporarily then the problem started again.
One day, it just fixed itself.

I swear to you, this is what happened. A truly strange operating system...from the same makers as Windows ME. :woot:

Go to Windows 7, it is what Vista should have been. Stable and fast (if you have the right hardware) and never had a problem.

Happy computing! :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users