Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to boot up in normal mode, please help

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Martia

Martia

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:06 PM

Before anything else, please don't suggest a reformat, there is valuable data on my computer, and it's too much to be backed up. Nevertheless, as of late my computer had a problem booting up. Turning it on, would instantly turn off in the next second or so, or if I was lucky, about 4 seconds max. This started I'd say..., last Sunday night. My computer simply instantly turned off, while I was running a few problems and wouldn't turn off again. When I booted it up, I saw something around the lines of a shutdown caused by a thermal event. Now, I know many of you, if not all will suggest that it may be due to my fan not working properly. I'm aware of that, and tried cleaning the inside of my computer of dust and etc stuff to try to make it work.

Funny enough, it worked, I can now boot up my computer, but if I just boot it up normally, it'll automatically shut down as it's loading. If I boot it up in safe mode, that works. Networking doesn't sadly seem to work, so I'm typing this on another computer. Nevertheless, I tried playing around with it. IF your wondering, I do have the retail installation CD. Now, I know playing around with it wasn't my best bet, but I tried all sorts of things, like CHKDSK /R, but that took hours, and still didn't finish. So I simply stopped it when I saw the % go down.

I also tried things like FIXBOOT, or FIXMBR all giving no results. Oh, and before I forget, I have a Dell Dimension 8400. So, in another attempt to fix it myself, I pressed F12 as I started my computer, finding a error log while looking though, seeing something around the lines of. "Out of range, Cpu 0 Temperature.", the 0 had a cross diagonal going though it.

Nevertheless, if anyone knows a solution to my problem, it would help very much. It's urgent that I get my computer working again ASAP.

Edited by hamluis, 03 May 2011 - 10:59 AM.
Edited topic title.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:22 PM

It looks like your computer may be still overheating.

Use good computer to download following program, transfer it to bad computer, using USB flash drive and run it there....

Download System Information for Windows (SIW free version)
No installation required.

After it scans your computer, navigate to Hardware>Sensors and post all info from there.

Posted Image

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 booterbotter

booterbotter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:26 PM

Hi,
Just some clarifications,
Run chkdsk /f and make sure you finish it. Did you encounter any pop ups or advertisements then the issue started to happen?
Coz basing on the information you have provided it seems that its a possible hw or sw issue.

Patience is a true virtue. Never give up, never surrender.
BleepingComputer.com Message Board Rules

#4 Martia

Martia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:44 PM

From my memory, I don't believe that I had any pop ups or ads at the time. I may not of noticed however.

Now, I'm quite panicky and worried right now, and this may seem like a idiotic question, but how exactly do I make it so the program scans my computer? If it's to simply start it up, going to Hardware sensors, gives me.

Assemble Value: 33~C (91F) Min 33~C (91F), Max 34~C (94F).

Nothing else is really shown besides my computer, (Dell Dimension 8400), and Owner of Computer. Forgive me for not being able to supply a screenshot. Nevertheless, that's the information I got, but when I simply start up that problem, it does say the program isn't made to run in Safe Mode so that may be a problem that could cause incorrect data.

I'd say there is a problem with my fan, but I'm unsure what. I did attempt to clean it out, although it was most likely a lacklaster job. Nevertheless, I'm not going to do anything until I hear what you guys think.

Edited by Martia, 02 May 2011 - 11:54 PM.

#5 booterbotter

booterbotter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:01 AM

I remember Dell have a diagnostics to check your computer hardware parts. Press F12 once you see the Dell logo, then select boot to utility partition something, its been years since I stopped working from them so I really cant remember, at least you can try that. If you do not have that then the Dell Drivers and Utilities disc will come in handy since the Hardware diagnostics is included in the disc.

Patience is a true virtue. Never give up, never surrender.
BleepingComputer.com Message Board Rules

#6 Martia

Martia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:14 PM

Update, appearently after another attempt to boot up my computer today, I'm unable too. Reverting to the same situation before it was cleaned, it would turn off in a matter of 1 second or so. Which leads me to wonder if it's even turning on at all. Nevertheless, any more additional information I'd be able to get on safe mode or even starting it up isn't a option right now, sadly. Please help if anyone has a solution.

#7 Train2104

Train2104

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:22 PM

Do you see the Windows logo at all, or does the computer physically shut off right after turning on?

#8 Martia

Martia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:24 PM

Physically shut off, I doubt that one second would be enough to show the windows logo anyways.

#9 Train2104

Train2104

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:30 PM

Physically shut off, I doubt that one second would be enough to show the windows logo anyways.

This is a hardware problem. Did you recently install a new internal component? (video card, hard drive, CD drive, etc.) Is there any error text that flashes right before shutdown?

If not, clean your PC if this is an old computer of its been placed in a dirty location. It may be easier to remove the hard drive and use another computer to recover the data (I've done this before, but with new OS's and software activation it isn't so easy anymore). Of course its possible to fix by checking each and every component.

Edited by Train2104, 03 May 2011 - 07:32 PM.

#10 Martia

Martia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:36 PM

I have not installed any new internal component according to my knowledge. It's also a private computer, so I'm assuming there is none newly installed. I had attempted cleaning my computer yesterday to no avail, but I'll try again, since it's most likely a lackluster job. Sadly, the materials needed by the tutorial of doing such isn't avaliable in quick possession. If there's any alternives... since all I have is a brush, which I do believe is too large to actually use. In addition, is my computer overheating? From exterior sources, I heard that 90F+ would cause my computer to literally catch on fire if left on for the night.

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:37 PM

I'm aware of that, and tried cleaning the inside of my computer of dust and etc stuff to try to make it work.

Did you pay specific attention to the heat sink on the processor?
Many times they can be come so clogged that a simple blowing out of the fan and surrounding areas will not do the trick.
Did you visually see the processor fan running?

I am hoping no damage was done by your other attempts\commands run in an attempt to fix the problem.

#12 Martia

Martia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:41 PM

I do believe I did pay special attention to the heatsink, however I may of misjudged what a heatsink was. I only learned of it recently, so I may of mistakened something else for the heatsink. If by any chance, someone could send me a picture of what it'd look like for the Dell Dimension 8400.. I'd appricate it greatly, along with the progress of how to clean it.

#13 Train2104

Train2104

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:49 PM

I'm aware of that, and tried cleaning the inside of my computer of dust and etc stuff to try to make it work.

Did you pay specific attention to the heat sink on the processor?
Many times they can be come so clogged that a simple blowing out of the fan and surrounding areas will not do the trick.
Did you visually see the processor fan running?

I am hoping no damage was done by your other attempts\commands run in an attempt to fix the problem.

I don't think the processor will overheat in 1 second, even without the fan. I'm thinking more power supply.

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:50 PM

They are`t hard to find.

A large silver (aluminum) block with fins and a fan attached directly on top of it.
The fan may be held in place by 4 screws or a couple brackets.

Giving an exact method of attachment is difficult as it varies by manufacturer as well as processor and motherboard type.

Or, some Dell`s have a bit of plastic duct work that is normally attached to the rear of the PC enclosing a fan also mounted to the rear panel below where the power supply is mounted.
The duct is hinged at the back panel and can be easily swung out of the way to view the heat sink.

#15 Martia

Martia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:52 PM

I was considering the option of power supply. However, it hasn't been too long since we replaced the previous power supply, 2-3 years.. around? Well, that may be a long time, but the symptoms of the last power supply. This hasn't ever happened before, even with the last power supply fading, it could at least support itself up for a few minutes... I do believe this one is more expensive, now I know price doesnt always equal quality, but still.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users