Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All Programs Empty after malware

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jtoroct

jtoroct

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:05 PM

Hi,

Dell laptop win7 Home premium.

My wife's computer was recently infected by something disguised as Windows Defender. I used Malwarebytes in safe mode to remove it. Prior to this I noticed that the start menu and the all programs list unders the start menu were empty or with partial folder lists and folders that were empty. I could however find all of the programs by browsing to them with win explorer.

So my question is how do I get these lists repopulated and how do I get the Dell Dock back....my wife seems to like this feature.

I also just noted that her screen image is gone and when I try to change the background from black to a custom picture it simply will not let me do it.

I also just noticed that all of the shortcuts on the desktop are gone. I can browse to them but I cannot make them visible on the desktop.

Very frustrating overall.

Any help regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Joe

Edited by jtoroct, 03 May 2011 - 09:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jtoroct

jtoroct
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:06 AM

To whom it may concern:

I am at a loss here. Any advice or help that this forum can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Joe

#3 Qyce1

Qyce1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:30 AM

ok what propably happened to you is that you got a virus called alureon that microsoft just recently made some updates for again.. its pretty bad and you might considere redoing your computer.. but i dont know to much about that and you might ask someone else about the virus.. anyways what it does is that it hides your files so you cant see them anymore.. in order to fix it you just go to your directory C:\Users\ and click in the properties first hide (all folders and..) and then unhide (all folders and..) that way most of them will appear back on your screen.. next problem is that this might have also deleted your shortcuts in your all programms folder.. how to undo that i don't know and im stil working on it too. if this is not the case you might have too look at this ***** http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/4354-program-icons-missing-all-programs-menu.html#post22274 ****** but since you have the blank background i don't think your problem is solved that easy.. if i find a way of bringing all the shortcuts that are linked to your program folder back, i will come back here and tell you bout it.. sorry for my bad spelling but im kinda in a hurry cause fixing this cost me 2 hours already ;/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users