Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installation nitemare

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:02 PM

have a Toshiba Satellite L455D-S5976, laptop with Windows 7, 32bit system on it.
The hard drive went bad and so I ordered another on, exactly like the original.
Then I had to cantact Toshiba and order the system installation disc for that computer.
I got the disc's in and when I went to reinstall the system on my new hard drive, it won't work.
The Toshiba splash screen pops up, then it starts loading Windows files. Then it says Starting Windows. Then it asks me to select between :
Toshiba Recovery Wizzard
or
System Recovery Options.
I chose Toshiba Recovery Wizzard.
Then it asks me to choose between
Factory Default, like "out-of-the-box-state"
or
Erase the hard disk.
I chose
Factory Default, like "out-of-the-box-state"
Then I have to choose between 3 things.
#1 Recover to out of the box state(System Recovery Options included.
#2 Recover without changing the hard drive partitions
#3 Recover to a custom size partition
I chose #1 Recover to out of the box state(System Recovery Options included
Then it goes into " initializing the partition". When thats done it says " Copying files, please wait".
Then, after about 20 minutes, an error pops up that says:
Can't read from the source file or disk.
preinst6.swm
type:swm file
size 632 MB
Date modified: 9/1/2009 10:47 am
Under that it gives me the choices to either " TRY AGAIN", " SKIP" , or " CANCEL".
None of those work at all.
Now I have tried to install the installation with just about every option possible.
I have tried another new hard drive and it did the same thing.
I even tried an external cd drive and that didn't work out either.
Anyone know if I'm making the right choices ? Any suggestiopns on what I should do ?
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 byolaf

byolaf

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:27 PM

I think perhaps you should choose system recovery options, where you may get a prompt to do a custom install (meaning a new install) I think it's looking for an install to repair, and since there isn't one, it's freaking out on you.

This is just a guess, mind you, but since no one else replied, I thought I'd throw it out there for you.
-Olaf

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,277 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:28 AM

All of this sounds like issues best addressed by Toshiba support, as opposed to random guessing from members who are not familiar with Toshiba systems...IMO.

Louis

#4 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:12 AM

LOL...... I have called and ordered replacement discs. I will try them when they get here.
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users