Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange keyboard problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ellsworthid

ellsworthid

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:37 PM

This problem only manifests itself in that the keyboard is not accsessable until the startup process reaches the desktop and not before. Wouldnt seem to be a problem except I cannot use the safe mode as the keyboard is dead and will not accept f8 input. Have tried different USB ports and have tried to update the drivers. Through device manager, I have uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail. It is a Dell Keyboard used on a Dell desktop P4 running XP professional. Thanks in advance. Jim

Edited by ellsworthid, 02 May 2011 - 08:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:16 AM

Hello ellsworthid -
Please read Dell Diagnostics and follow the first basic steps -
Then post back after you have tried them -

Thank You

#3 ellsworthid

ellsworthid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:16 AM

Hello ellsworthid -
Please read Dell Diagnostics and follow the first basic steps -
Then post back after you have tried them -

Thank You
I would if I could access the f12 key on startup. I cannot. There must be a backdoor into this utility but I dont know it. Jim

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:12 AM

Have you ever been able to use this keyboard...before the system loads?

Have you enabled USB devices at boot in the BIOS settings?

Have you tried a different keyboard...a PS2 connection keyboard?

Louis

#5 ellsworthid

ellsworthid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:04 PM

Have you enabled USB devices at boot in the BIOS settings?

No. can you walk me through it?

Have you tried a different keyboard...a PS2 connection keyboard?

No PS2 connection on computer. Tried a ps2 ketboard with a USB adaptor and it wouldnt work. Tried another USB keyboard and it works the same as this one.
Thanks for the help. Jim

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,883 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:03 PM

The variances in BIOS setup among systems...is great, so I can't walk you through it.

Do you have the owner's manual for that system? There should be information in that regarding BIOS settings.

You need to boot into your BIOS...carefully review all the settings. There should be one or two which mention USB. Post those as they currently are.

Louis

#7 ellsworthid

ellsworthid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:42 AM

The variances in BIOS setup among systems...is great, so I can't walk you through it.

Do you have the owner's manual for that system? There should be information in that regarding BIOS settings.

You need to boot into your BIOS...carefully review all the settings. There should be one or two which mention USB. Post those as they currently are.

Louis

So how can I reboot into the bios if I cant use the keyboard until the desktop appears? I am loking for a back door into the bios. jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users