Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-installed audio driver- still no sound

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wiskerluv

wiskerluv

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:21 PM

All of a sudden lost my sound. Checked everything (volume controls, device manager) and all shows that sound is working correctly. Checked for loose connections on back of tower. I uninstalled my Sigmatel Audio driver and reinstalled with the Dell Resource CD. Still nothing. Cannot get the sound icon back in my taskbar, even though it's checked off. Oi what to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:01 PM

Not much help, I guess, but your sound chip may be simply busted.
It happens.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 wiskerluv

wiskerluv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:45 PM

Thanks Broni, that would be my luck. I did a lot of diagnostic testing and everything shows okay and working fine. Just can't figure this out.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,758 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:51 PM

Is this desktop, or laptop?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 wiskerluv

wiskerluv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:45 PM

Broni it's a Dell desktop. Ran the Sound diagnostic test and it showed everything okay. Went to Dell to install updated driver but I have the latest one.

There is one thing that didn't work in the diagnostic test under Music and that was the MS GS wavetable SW synthecizer (whatever that is). I didn't hear any sound when I was supposed to according to the test. Anyway that's all I got for now.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,758 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:54 PM

Instead of just checking the driver, download fresh driver from Dell's site, uninstall current driver and install fresh one.

If it still doesn't work, new sound card is worth about 15 bucks.

My Website

#7 wiskerluv

wiskerluv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:22 PM

Only 15 bucks? heh that's not hard to swallow. I will do what you said and d/l the driver again after I uninstall. Thanks for your help.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,758 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:45 PM

Let me know....

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users