Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-Virus Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 samthedagger

samthedagger

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:56 PM

Up until now, I've relied pretty much on free anti-virus programs, and they have served me pretty well. But over the last year I've been attacked twice by malware that basically forced me to reinstall Windows. While I've taken plenty of precautions to back up my data and haven't lost anything by reinstalling, it is an incredible hassle to deal with. I've begun to wonder whether I might be able to get better protection with a subscription anti-virus service. Money isn't really an object. I'm looking for something non-intrusive that doesn't hog system resources and is very minimalist but effective. Something I can also easily shut off temporarily (like to improve performance for gaming) would be nice too. Can I get some recommendations from those of you who are extremely experienced in the field? Tell me about your anti-virus and why you like it?

Edited by hamluis, 02 May 2011 - 04:13 PM.
Moved from XP to AV, Firewall, etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:07 PM

I'm a Kaspersky fan and have it installed on all of my systems. But I'm curious - what were you doing when you were infected?

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,111 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:20 PM

I like Kaspersky too but NOD32 Anti-Virus is another very good choice.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 shenandoah2

shenandoah2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:27 PM

Greetings,

I also use Kaspersky, anti-virus 2011, version 11.0.1.400

I figure my computer to be clean. Kaspersky does like to flag my wireless software-though I allow it.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,724 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:42 PM

I like Kaspersky too but NOD32 Anti-Virus is another very good choice.

Ditto. I was a long time Kaspersky user and just recently switched to ESET. The reason being that Kaspersky 2011 doesn't play well with a couple of applications I need for work. And I don't have the time or patience to trouble shoot currently.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:48 AM

Again, more important than what anti virus app you use is whether or not you follow "smart computing" practices. You said your system has been severely infected twice in the past year. How that happened is important.

#7 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:41 AM

Hi,
He's correct about that. But what you need to do is to look at all of your options. Vipre is my favorite AV right now, for it does a very good job of stopping malware in it's tracks. I'm thinking of trashing both my Eset licenses for it.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#8 samthedagger

samthedagger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:32 AM

I actually wasn't doing anything on my computer when I first noticed symptoms. I had just finished posting on the forums at www.enworld.org and got up to make dinner. When I came back, I was receiving pop-ups from my taskbar telling me my computer was under attack by a virus, but it wasn't AVG telling me this. Also, every web page I tried to open redirected me to a site claiming I couldn't surf the internet because of the virus but that if I paid them 99.95 they could get rid of it for me. Other stuff like that started to happen. I ran an AVG scan which discovered a trojan in the Windows system directory and I got rid of it. That slowed the virus down but didn't get rid of it. The last file I remember downloading was a pdf from a fellow long-time member of enworld. If he was spreading the virus around, I doubt he knew about it.

I'd like to think I am fairly savvy about safe internet practices. It might have been something my wife did; she was using the computer not long before me and isn't quite so computer savvy. I have back-ups and partitions on my hard drives in case this kind of thing happens, so it isn't the end of the world when I have to do a windows re-install, just a big waste of time.

The last time this happened back in November, it was my own fault and I know exactly how it happened and why. I knew ahead of time the file I was downloading was risky and did it anyway. But it might have been avoided if I had had a better anti-virus to remind me the file I was downloading contained malware.

Anyway, I have heard a lot of good things about Kaspersky. They seem to get a lot of good ratings as well. I am thinking about going with that.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,111 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:38 AM

I'd like to think I am fairly savvy about safe internet practices. It might have been something my wife did; she was using the computer not long before me and isn't quite so computer savvy.

Have her read How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected which explains the most common ways malware is contracted and spread.

If you still have issues with infection, start a new topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum for assistance.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users