Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turn on wireless capability windows 7 64BIT

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jas009

jas009

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:03 AM

Hi

I have a desktop computer, and have a D-Link DWA-510 wireless network adapter installed. Though I cannot pick up any wireless networks even though I know there are wireless networks as my iPhone picks them up.

I have tried the following:

1/ Clicking on the wireless/internet icon (not sure what to called it, it's the icon that brings up network and sharing) located on the bottom right of the bottom task bar. though no networks show up.

2/ Adding a new wirless network via 'Network and Sharing' option - though when windows does a search for networks it never stops searching.

3/ Installing the new drivers from the D-Link website

If I look at the back of the tower the network card that I have the external antenna connected to has one static green light lit. So I gather it is installed correctly as it is lit and it was installed when I brought the computer, although if I go to device manager it is not listed under Networks?!. I have triedto search on turning the wireless capability on though I cannot find a solution that actualy turns it on.

Anyhow hope all that makes some kinda sense please suggest some solutions I could try!

Thanks in advance :)
MeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jas009

jas009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:21 AM

Also if I go to:

Control Panel
Network and Internet
Manage Wireless Networks

It says ' Wireless is currently not enabled' but no where to turn it on...
MeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMe

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:47 PM

Your problem sounds more like a physical limitation of the hardware being used as opposed an OS problem.

Is it your wireless network you are trying to connect to or just any network?

#4 jas009

jas009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:30 AM

Hi,

No I have a wirless USB Stick that connects me to the internet - which I know I cannot connect to as it is just a receiver not a router.
I just like to see if it works and turn it on so I can see the other wireless networks.
MeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMe

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:10 PM

If I understand correctly.

The USB device you are talking about will only work with a single PC. That, being the PC it is plugged into.

As far as the networks you are seeing. It sounds like they are of a different type then those that can be picked up by the D Link wireless adapter you have.

There is more then one type of wireless language so to speak. The one being picked up by your Verizon wireless device is different then what the D Link is designed. That is how it is designed and done in that manner for a couple reasons.
1)Avoid interference with other types of wireless signals.
2)Avoid theft of a service that is normally paid for.

Edited by ThunderZ, 03 May 2011 - 01:11 PM.

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:15 PM

when instal the d-link device and drivers, did you install the wireless connection tool/wizzard or did you chose to use windows wireless service to connect

also did you check device manager and make sure the wireless network device is enabled.
also check services in control panel/admintools and make sure wireless service is enables

Edited by caperjac, 03 May 2011 - 05:16 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#7 jas009

jas009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:13 AM

I downloaded the wireless conntection tool/wizard though when I double click on it, it says 'wireless adapter not found please insert adapter now'

Like I said this device doesn't show up in device manager. And can you please outline the steps on how I get to the option of enabling the wireless service please.
MeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMe

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:01 AM

I downloaded the wireless conntection tool/wizard though when I double click on it, it says 'wireless adapter not found please insert adapter now'

so you need to make sure its connected properly but you do anything else.
have you tried removing it and plugging it back in to the socket ,have you more than one pci socket,if so did you try it into second socket

Edited by caperjac, 04 May 2011 - 05:04 AM.

#9 jas009

jas009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:23 PM

so you need to make sure its connected properly but you do anything else.
have you tried removing it and plugging it back in to the socket ,have you more than one pci socket,if so did you try it into second socket

It is an internal card, and there is a static green light lit at the back of the card so I am assuming it is connected properly..you think i should take the back of the tower and unplug and re plug it in ?
MeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMe

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:58 AM

gereen light is good, but it wouldn't hurt just to sure it making a full connection to plug it back in ,i would also try it in another slot if possible ,when you first insatll it windows should detect the new card and want to install drivers for it .it may be a bad device

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:32 PM

Depending on the make of the card.
Some have no lights. Some have one. Others two.
Some may have more but rarely.
In the case of two lights. One usually only means it is receiving power from the outlet it is plugged into. USB, pci slot.
If there are two lights. Ususlly different colors. Then the second indicates a (potential)link with another wireless device. Flashing indicates actual communication, sending\receiving of data.

The actual meaning of the lights can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.

#12 jas009

jas009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:10 AM

Ok all fixed! :)

I undid the cover and and unpluged and re pluged the card back in now it all works perfect !! Thanks for your help
MeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMeMe

#13 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:57 AM

your welcome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users