Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inspiron 1520 compatible enough with windows 7 ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mj2000

mj2000

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:20 AM

Hi all.

I have installed win 7 on my inspiron 1520 and i see 1 or 2 per day the blue screen and sometimes firefox crashes.

I have not installed any drivers or uncompatible programs.

i looked into dell website and i saw it was not listed as the compatible for 7.

What is the matter ? it s not recomended to be installed on inspiron 1520 ?

If not which of my hardware should be improved ?

thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:18 AM

I have been running 32-bit Win 7 Home Premium on my Inspiron 1520 for over a year without issues. Did you do a clean install (format during install) or did you do an upgrade from Vista? Since Dell provides drivers and such for Vista it means the hardware is perfectly capable of running Win 7 since Vista and Win 7 drivers are generally interchangeable. I don't know why Dell does not list it on their website as Win 7 compatible.

Edited by strolln, 02 May 2011 - 02:23 AM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#3 mj2000

mj2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:24 AM

I have been running 32-bit Win 7 Home Premium on my Inspiron 1520 for over a year without issues. Did you do a clean install (format during install) or did you do an upgrade from Vista? Since Dell provides drivers and such for Vista it means the hardware is perfectly capable of running Win 7 since Vista and Win 7 drivers are generally interchangeable. I don't know why Dell does not list it on their website as Win 7 compatible.

no, i had a clean install. i had xp before.

this link i meant on dell :
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&docid=DSN_364750&isLegacy=true

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:36 AM

This Dell site has a automated feature which will scan your computer and make suggestions regarding upgrades needed to run Windows 7.

Step 2:Use Windows Advisor and Windows Update

Steps 2, 3, and 4 are recommended for Dell systems not offering Windows 7 factory installed. Use Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to verify all your computer components and software are ready for Windows 7. This application will scan your system and provide recommendations for what you should do prior to upgrading to Windows 7.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:46 AM

My advice would be to use something like Blue Screen View to track down the causes of the Blue Screens. Have you run Windows Update and installed the critical updates?

Edited by strolln, 02 May 2011 - 10:47 AM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#6 mj2000

mj2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:00 AM

No i had not.

i try to do them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users