Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer randomly freezes or reboots

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FoodIsFlying

FoodIsFlying

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:50 AM

Hey,

I recently bought all the parts I'd need to put together my gaming PC. But, I've been having problems keeping it up and running.

It seems while doing strenuous activities (Starcraft II / league of Legends) the computer will either reboot itself or just go into a hard freeze where ctrl+alt+delete won't do anything and I'm
left with the reboot button. The parts I put it together with are as follows:

Processor: AMD Athlon II X3 450 3x 3.2GHz 1.5MB Cache
RAM: 8 GB DDR3 Patriot G2 series
Motherboard: Asus M4N68T-M V2
Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX460 1GB
Optical Drive: Dual Layer DVD Burner
Hard Drive: 640GB WD Caviar Black
Networking: Wireless : PCI : 300N : Trendnet : TEW-643PI
Case: Cooler Master Elite 350 w/500w PSU
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

I have checked and all the drivers for the parts are up to date, I ran registry checks, and ran a full disk check to no avail. I don't think it's an overheating problem as the computer is still around room temperature if it goes off.

I need help!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:17 AM

I have a question regarding the heat sink on the processor.

When you assembled this computer did you make sure that you applied thermal compound to the processor heat spreader before attaching the heat sink?

Did you also double check the heat sink to be absolutely sure it is making full, level contact with the heat spreader?

As for your GeForce GTX-460 video card below is a link to a web site rating the card's power consumption.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-review/13

Recommended Power Supply
Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

GeForce GTX 460

On your average system the card requires you to have a 450 to 500 Watt power supply unit.

GeForce GTX 460 in SLI

A second card requires you to add another ~200 Watts. You need a 650 ~700 Watt power supply unit.

Now with what is stated above, you also have to consider what other peripherals you have in your system and what drain they also put on your PSU.

Bruce.

EDIT: corrected QTX to correct name GTX :whistle:

Edited by MrBruce1959, 02 May 2011 - 02:21 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:10 AM

Here's the killer, the suggested PSU is only 450W. But! They want to see a 12V rail @ 38A.

I tried to find any information other than the case included a 500W PSU, but couldn't find any information further than that. The problem here is that usually when the PSU is sold with a case the PSU isn't one of the best.

See if you can find the make and model of the PSU on the case of it. If there is one please post it here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 FoodIsFlying

FoodIsFlying
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:02 AM

Here's the PSU I have installed. It didn't come with the case, bought seperate.

Cooler Master : eXtremePower Plus : 500-PCAR3
Model RS-500-PCAR-A3 / RS-500-PCAP-A3
Type Intel Form Factor ATX 12V V2.3
Dimension (W / H / D) 150 x 86 x 140 mm
Input Voltage RS-500-PCAR-A3 / 90 ~132V/180~264V (Selectable)
RS-500-PCAP-A3 / 180~264 V
Input Current RS-500-PCAR-A3 : 10A at 115Vac / 6A at 230Vac
RS-500-PCAP-A3 : 6A at 230Vac
Input Frequency Range 47 ~ 63 Hz

As per the thermal paste I may grab some from the local shop and re-apply my heat sink on the processor.

Edited by FoodIsFlying, 02 May 2011 - 09:02 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:14 AM

There are two 12V rails of which both are rated at 18A making the 36A suggested for the graphics card.

Did the CPU come with a thermal pad? If so, did you remove it and apply thermal compound?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 FoodIsFlying

FoodIsFlying
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:41 PM

The CPU did not come with a thermal pad. The heatsink already had a thin layer of paste on it which I determined was a thermal paste.

#7 FoodIsFlying

FoodIsFlying
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:19 PM

I would also like to say that I have CoreTemp measuring the temperature of the CPU. It never seems to get to a high temperature (last time it was around 41C when it froze) before it shuts down. Maybe the cpu isn't the problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users