Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shutdown Problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rob h

Rob h

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 04:50 AM

Just recently I have been having trouble getting my pc to shutdown. When using the usual procedure of going to start, turn off computer, turn off, it sometimes does nothing at all or at least takes so long it seems like it is doing nothing, then when it does, it shows the logging off message, the windows is shutting down message and then the screen goes blank and the pc just sits there for ever doing nothing but wont switch off. If I switch off manually at this point I still get a light up on my keyboard when all else has shut down. I have found that I need to do a restart and shutdown without logging on to any account, then it shuts down ok. Any ideas as to what might be causing this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 metroman

metroman

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:44 AM

Hi Rob. Sorry I can't offer you a solution but it might make you feel a little better to know you are not alone with this problem. My computer refuses to shut down on around half the times I try. I then have no alternative but to switch off at the wall plug. I know this is not recommemded but I have been doing this for 2 years with no apparent ill affects. If someone knows a remedy you and I both would be happy to know I guess.

#3 shecal

shecal

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:11 AM

I have a shutdown problem as well, but it goes as follows: I shut everything down, the computer seems to be off, and then several hours later it comes back on all by itself! I can avoid this by switching it off manually, but I don't think I should have to do this every time. If I use the sleep button, it's fine for a while, and then the green light on the computer starts to flash, and I can't get it to come back on. The only solution seems to be to shut it off manually and start over. :thumbsup:
[font=Comic Sans Ms][size=3]islandlass

#4 Rob h

Rob h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2006 - 06:07 PM

Firstly thanks for your replies so far, not found an answer yet though. I thought it was only on shutdown but I have now found that it is the same when trying to log of of any open account, I can switch accounts with no problem but if I try to log off of one account it takes ages to do so then the pc will hang after the saving your settings message, giving a black screen with just the mouse pointer, which I can still move around, but nothing responds and I have to press reset or manually turn off power. Oh and system restore wont work.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 06:33 PM

There could be several causes of your problem - drive problems, memory problems or malware for a start.

Memory Problems
There is a free RAM diagnostic called Memtest86 which you can download from here Memtest86.

Use it to create a bootable floppy disk. When you reboot with that floppy in the drive it will automatically run a memory test. Let it run at least overnight, unless errors come up right away, and then examine the error count.

If you don't have a floppy drive you can make a bootable CD - instructions are on the webpage.

Drive Problems
Do some basic maintenance:
  • Clean your internet cache and temporary files:
    Click Start and Run then type in cleanmgr this will start the windows disk cleanup tool.
    Tick the boxes beside Temporary internet Files, Recycle Bin and Temporary Files then click OK

• Schedule an Error Check (Scandisk).
    How to find scandisk: Start>My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Check Now. In the window that opens tick 'Automatically fix file system errors' and 'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors'. When you click 'Start' Windows will say the error checker cannot run now and do you want it to run at the next boot? Click 'yes' and then reboot.

• When that's finished reboot in Safe Mode and do a defrag.
    If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode
    Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
    They will take some time but at least you will know your hard drive is working correctly and tidied up.

• Check how much free space you have on your hard drive.
    Start>My Computer click once on your C: drive and look in the Details box on the left.

• Reboot normally and see if there's any improvement.
Malware Problems

Is your Anti-virus program current and updated? If not you can download a free anti-virus program here (US Link): AVG Free
When you have downloaded and installed it you need to go online to register it and update it. (It will probably prompt you to do this.)
Once you have installed AVG uninstall your old Anti-Virus software because you should only have one running on your system.

Do you have a range of anti-spyware installed? If not download and update all of the following:Reboot your computer in Safe Mode and run the anti-virus scan and all the anti-spyware scans there.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here: Safe Mode

See if that helps :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 Rob h

Rob h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:30 PM

Thanks for the answers, I have found the problem I think. I had recently connected a usb2 hub/card reader which in itself is no problem but I had a usb powered desktop xmas tree plugged into it, unplugging before shutdown stops the problem, plug it back in and the problem re-occurs, seems it is having trouble closing the device down prior to shutting off.

#7 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 06:57 PM

Dear shecal,

Does your computer turn on when the phone rings?

#8 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:17 PM

congrats ...you have solved the problem yourself ...... so rem not to do it again next christmas ..... Haaa..
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:56 AM

a usb powered desktop xmas tree plugged into it

I thought that was a metaphor for a USB hub with a lot of cables coming out of it. :thumbsup:

Glad you found the problem! :flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users