Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo discriminates against Opera users

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:42 PM

I got a notification today that ignoring the upcoming New Mail upgrade is not an option. I use Opera browser. I will NOT use IE. I do not like FireFox, find it much too complicated to maintain.
So what do I do now?
Relevant quote:

You Can Upgrade Today

You can upgrade now to the newest Yahoo! Mail if your browser is Internet Explorer 7, Firefox 3, Safari 4, or Chrome 5 or newer.
If you do not have one of these browsers, you must first update your browser (it’s fast and free), and then return to this email and click the Upgrade Now button.

I don't understand the last sentence. I can upgrade Opera till I'm blue in the face. If yahoo con't play nice, what good will the upgrade do me? BTW, I have Opera totally up to date.

Suggestions?

(I wonder why yahoo does this. Their site has always been a bit rough with Opera. Might be bacause it's so easy to disable all their trashy ads, moving things, javascripts. That's my theory.
But I have 10 years of mail there. And even though I started a gmail account, yahoo mail is important to me)

Edited by tos226, 01 May 2011 - 09:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:56 PM

Download and Use Firefox it works with yahoo just fine.

#3 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:47 PM

There should be a section on the right side of the page that reads:

To proceed to att.net Mail Classic...
Simply follow the link below. If you sign in later with a
supported browser, you will automatically be taken to the all-
new att.net Mail.

Proceed directly to att.net Mail Classic

At least that's what I'm seeing, and if I click on the indicated link I end up in my usual mail, although it takes quite a few seconds.

That's a real nice feature they've added for us. :thumbdown:

Edited by FlannelBack, 01 May 2011 - 10:49 PM.

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:36 PM

@cryptodan,
I know I can. I used FF for a while. I just don't have the patience to maintain it properly. Download No script, download no ads, whatever. In Opera it's all in the package. And FF addins or whatever they're called - I don't even know these were legit sites. full of color and stuff that just confused me when all I once wanted was NoScript.

I tried chrome. They must be kidding. They expect ME to type in a list of exceptions.

In Opera, when I want to permit a site to do javascript or cookies or ads, it's two button clicks away. I don't have to type anything. I setup what a site can have in one place. No special downloads of bits and pieces.

I'll probably ditch that 10yr old yahoo account instead and stick with my easy to use Opera, but I haven't figured out how to move all the mail out of yahoo :(

@FlannelBack,
Can you please elaborate. What is that att.net? How does it relate to yahoo mail and Opera please.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:36 PM

I think this is what Flannelback is referring to: http://help.yahoo.com/tutorials/mail/mail/mm_basics2.html

Scroll almost to the bottom and under the heading: Prefer to Use the All-New Yahoo! Mail?

It explains how to 'toggle' between beta and classic.

As for the att.net reference their mail is done via the yahoo portal.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:39 AM

Thank you Animal, much appreciated. :) On target as usual.

@tos226.
Since my post #3, Yahoo changed things a bit. Now when I sign in to Yahoo/att mail using Opera, I get this:

Posted Image

The url for the screen above is "us.mgxxx.mail.yahoo.com". Opera is using it's default settings while on that page. JavaScript is not enabled.
Just clicking on the "proceed directly to att.net Mail Classic" link, takes me to:

Posted Image

But JavaScript is enabled for the above page.

You should be able to forward the existing Yahoo mail you want to keep to your gmail account. I can see where sifting through ten years worth would be a dreaded chore though. :wacko:

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:03 AM

I'm still figuring it out.
I understand your replies now.
Things look different. I do not have that att.net visible anywhere, but it might not matter.
Yahoo keeps changing. At this point, I can login normally, see the main mail page. Then I get a NEW screen on which is an option, on top, on the right had side to use classic mail, which is what I've been using all along anyway without their extra screen.
Posted Image
However, what worries me is their mail to me which implies that at some point they will eliminate old mail. Then what? Quoting from their mail:

If you don’t upgrade now, we recommend that you upgrade soon. Your current version of Yahoo! Mail will be available for the next few months, but eventually you will need to upgrade to the newest version of Yahoo! Mail , or review Yahoo! Mail Help for other options.

Finally, I've googled this interesting thread out - disturbing to say the least
http://www.freedomlist.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=216655

Edited by tos226, 05 May 2011 - 11:11 AM.

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 05 May 2011 - 11:51 AM

In my experience, Yahoo Mail may warn you against using an "unsupported" browser or OS, but it works fine anyway. They're just lazy.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:32 PM

Well they are having financial issues, so maybe they dont have a full staff that is needed to test every browser out there on the street. I feel they should Support IE, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome.

#10 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:13 PM

In my experience, Yahoo Mail may warn you against using an "unsupported" browser or OS, but it works fine anyway. They're just lazy.

Lazy and/or incompetent.
Up to now that has always been my experience. New this, new that, few tweaks in Opera and it works just fine. But that mail that they sent about old will go away, you must change browser disturbs me for the future. I guess we'll see :)

#11 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:13 AM

Been playing with viewing the Yahoo mail a little bit.

Tried Firefox, the way I normally have it configured, and it went to a crawl. Had to use Task Manager to kill Firefox.
Tried Firefox(safe mode) all add-ons disabled, page wouldn't display correctly.
Tried Firefox from Linux, wow what a treat. Just mail and the commands to manipulate it. No other garbage.

Tried Opera from Windows and got the 1st screen I posted in post #6. At that point I right clicked and selected:
  • "Edit Site Preferences..."
  • "Scripting" tab > Enabled JavaScript
  • "Network" tab > "Browser identification" box > selected "Mask as Firefox"
  • "OK" button
  • redraw the page
and viola, there was the mail page. I never clicked on "Proceed directly to Yahoo! Mail Classic". However, even though my sign-in info was already stored in the "Password Manager", when I redrew the page Opera asked if I wanted to save the password and I answered "Save".

So to test, signed out, closed Opera's Yahoo tab, cleared private data(wiped cache), signed back into Yahoo mail. All went well, no extra page where you have to click on "Proceed directly to Yahoo! Mail Classic".

Don't know how long these settings will work as Yahoo seems to keep changing things.

The next time you sign in to Yahoo mail and you get the "Yahoo! Mail does not support your browser.", you might try editing the site preferences on that page, then have Opera redraw the page and see what happens.

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:27 AM

Been playing with viewing the Yahoo mail a little bit.

Tried Firefox, the way I normally have it configured, and it went to a crawl. Had to use Task Manager to kill Firefox.
Tried Firefox(safe mode) all add-ons disabled, page wouldn't display correctly.

Then you have some system issues or your firefox profile is corrupted.

#13 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:23 AM

Then you have some system issues or your firefox profile is corrupted.

Normally I would agree you, but when this only happens with one specific page(Yahoo's Mail Classic) out of all the sites I pull up, I tend to lean toward something being incompatible with that specific page and something at my end.

Given that Firefox(as well as all other installed apps.) and the computer are working fast and smooth in all other respects and that Yahoo seems to be in the midst of making changes to the mail page, think I'll refrain from re-configuring Firefox and or the system to jump through Yahoo's hoops and over their hurdles just to accommodate what ever Yahoo decides to do with their mail page.

If I were a business dependent upon Yahoo mail, I would re-consider that point of view, but such is not case. If I'm no longer able to use Yahoo mail, so be it, no harm no foul. Yahoo will get along fine without me. :)

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:27 AM

Lets try a little experience. I will install the add-ons that you use and you can send me your configuration via private message so that I can see if the new Yahoo Mail is slow on my machine with Firefox 4.01.

#15 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:44 AM

Will do, but later. Have real life duties at the moment. Also, not using v4.01. I do have a relatively large number of add-ons(60+) and several themes installed in Firefox. Oh, and the same thing happens with PaleMoon. Different browser, different profile, but pretty much the same configuration.

Maybe this should be put in a different thread as we seem to be straying from tos226's original problem of Opera working with Yahoo?

And thank you. Later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users