Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

video card drivers

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wetherills

wetherills

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:33 PM

I wiped my hard drive and installed a clean copy (not upgrade) of the 64 bit version of windows 7 ultimate (having previously run xp), ran windows update until all important updates where upto date, went and installed my graphics card drivers from the cd and rebooted the pc as required, the pc's display works during reboot up until the loading windows screen when i lose display and the monitor goes black, you can hear the pc bringing up the loading screen, reboot in safe mode and can get into windows without this problem, my graphics card is a sparkle geforce gtx 460 which is supposed to be ok with windows 7 both 32 bit and 64 bit, so far i have tried the drivers from the cd, the latest drivers from the sparkle website and the drivers suggested for my card in the windows 7 update none of which work and all give me a black screen, any suggestions please as im pretty hacked off as you can imagine and wishing i had stayed with xp

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:43 PM

Did you install any other drivers, like the chipset drivers?

I would help if you post the make and model of this computer.

If this is a custom build please post the components installed, including the PSU.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 wetherills

wetherills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:03 PM

Installed windows, installed motherboard software (drivers etc), ran windows update put on anti virus etc, graphics drivers install does include chipset and the nvidia control panel, custom build and has been running faultlessly before i decided to change to windows 7 (other than a virus issue recently which i resolved)

spec is

gigabyte p55a-ud3 motherboard
intel i5 750 cpu
crucial ballistix 4gb ram
sparkle geforce gtx460 graphics card
corsair tx 650 psu

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,759 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:15 PM

Safe mode uses a limited number of drivers, in the case of graphics the default Windows drivers are used. Since it does work in Safe Mode it definitely looks like a driver issue. Have you tried rolling back to a previous version of the drivers?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 wetherills

wetherills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:23 PM

Well as it gave me no display i actually used system restore so its currently reverted to pre graphics driver install, if i look at what the pc is showing my adapter as its showing it as "standard vga graphics adapter", chip type: nvidia, dac type: 8 bit, adapter string: vga, bios information: chip rev, total available graphics memory: 14mb, dedicated video memory: n/a, system video memory: n/a and shared video memory: n/a and the driver is a standard microsoft one, will try installing a later nvidia driver now (from the nvidia site rather than sparkle) and see what happens

#6 wetherills

wetherills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:41 PM

I have installed the lastest nvidia drivers for my card and its still the same (blank screen), driver version 270.61, installed according to the nvidia window letting me know the install was complete:

nvidia update version 1.1.34
physX systen software version 9.10.0514
3d vision controller driver version 270.61
hd audi driver version 1.2.22.1
graphics driver 270.61
3d vision driver 270.61

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,759 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:05 PM

Are you downloading this from the nvidia web site?

Did you uninstall the other drivers before installing the new ones?

#8 wetherills

wetherills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:09 PM

yup, there where no existing drivers installed at that point (system restore had been used) so the only driver was the windows get you going one, there was the option in the installation to create new or something like (ie over right) so i ticked that, quick google suggests windows updates may be causing me issues so just done another system restore before windows updates ran and will see if the driver worked then

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,759 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:17 PM

Try using Driver Cleaner Professional in safe mode, restart your computer and install your drivers.

#10 wetherills

wetherills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:40 AM

The download link doesnt seem to work unless im being silly

#11 wetherills

wetherills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:55 AM

Ran driver sweeper removing nvidia drivers, rebooted, installed lastest drivers from nvidia website rebooted and blank screen again, shut off pc moved graphics card from pci 16 to pci 4 rebooted went into windows this time where the driver finalised installation then rebooted again and once again blank screen so switched it back to the other slot and still blank screen, this card was working fine in this machine before i changed to windows 7 so i dont understand

#12 wetherills

wetherills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:19 AM

Ok feeling like a total prat now, tried everything else so figured why not try swapping the monitor leads over as we have two pc's with identical monitors, system i have been having issues with has a vga lead with a dvi adapter, other pc has a dvi lead, anyway the short of it was once i had plugged the dvi lead in instant display from the previous black screen, and my old vga lead/dvi combo seems to work fine on the other pc so result, i hope this will be of help to someone in the future if they have similar issues

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users