Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defogger Problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 Tr0users

Tr0users

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:57 PM

So I downloaded Defogger and got to the Run/Cancel dialogue box. I pressed Run and then STOPzilla (anti-malware thing I downloaded) popped up saying it had caught something called DriveCleaner. I told it to clean up the "infection", but I fear that it was something integral to the Defogger programme because now I don't appear to be able to run it. I've tried downloading Defogger two more times, but it still fails to open. There's no Defogger icon on my desktop or anywhere else. The only presence it seems to have on my computer is DEFOGGER.EXE-2217799A.pf in folder C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch and if I try to run that it asks me what programme I want to use to open the file.

What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:10 PM

I'd recommend you close this thread and post a thread in Am I Infected? to gain help. It's likely you have more infections that were not caught. You may be recommended to post a HiJackThis log, or a log of the akin. Also, it's not a good idea to run Defrag software unless you absolutely know what you're doing. Defragging your computer can lead to some very complex problems.

Edited by ngм, 01 May 2011 - 08:10 PM.

Nosce te ipsum.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:20 PM

@ Tr0users.

Please continue to follow the instructions, as best you can, provided by Animal in this post. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic394924.html/page__view__findpost__p__2229558

When creating the new post in the forum stated please include what could and could not be done.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:31 PM

Why did you choose to run Defogger?

To enable CD Emulation programs using DeFogger please perform these steps:

• Please download DeFogger to your desktop.
  • Once downloaded, double-click on the DeFogger icon to start the tool.
  • The application window will now appear. You should now click on the Enable button to enable your CD Emulation drivers
  • When it prompts you whether or not you want to continue, please click on the Yes button to continue
  • When the program has completed you will see a Finished! message. Click on the OK button to exit the program.
  • If CD Emulation programs are present and have been enabled, DeFogger will now ask you to reboot the machine. Please allow it to do so by clicking on the OK button.
The Malware Removal Team uses tool of this type in the process of cleaning infections and should not be used unless it is suggested and is used under their supervision.

My suggestion for you would be to follow the instructions in This Guide starting at Step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it HERE Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to try to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply to this thread and ask.

Hey Thunder, didn't see you had posted.:whistle:

Edited by dc3, 01 May 2011 - 09:00 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Tr0users

Tr0users
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:45 PM

The only Defogger icon I'm getting is in my Downloads window. Double-clicking on that just leads to the Run/Cancel dialogue box.

I expect I'm being perfectly retarded here, what am I missing?

Nevermind, I'll continue the checklist.

Edited by Tr0users, 01 May 2011 - 08:47 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:54 PM

Did you download Defogger again as the instructions suggests?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Tr0users

Tr0users
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:57 PM

Yes, I've downloaded it and it's sitting in my Downloads window. I haven't done anything with it. What next?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:02 PM

Follow the instructions that I posted in post #4.

#9 Tr0users

Tr0users
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:04 PM

It doesn't work. All I keep getting is what I reported in post #5. It won't let me do anything with it.

More specifically, I double click on the icon in the Downloads window; it asks whether I want to Run/Cancel; I click Run, and something that looks like it could be the programme flickers on my screen for about a second and disappears. The download then appears to be useless - when I click on the icon again nothing happens.

Edited by Tr0users, 01 May 2011 - 09:09 PM.

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:16 PM

Hey Thunder, didn't see you had posted.:whistle:

:wink:
cause I cheated and posted a lot shorter suggestion. :woot:

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:22 PM

It doesn't work. All I keep getting is what I reported in post #5. It won't let me do anything with it.

More specifically, I double click on the icon in the Downloads window; it asks whether I want to Run/Cancel; I click Run, and something that looks like it could be the programme flickers on my screen for about a second and disappears. The download then appears to be useless - when I click on the icon again nothing happens.

As I posted previously, this is a tool that should be suggested and used under the supervision of a member of the MRT since they are the resident experts on this subject. For that same reason I'm going to suggest that it looks like it is time to submit your topic in the Am I Infected forum. Please use the instructions in lower portion of topic #4.

#12 Tr0users

Tr0users
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:26 PM

Okay, I'll get on that in the morning. Time for sleep now.

Thanks for the help!

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:27 PM

:thumbup2:

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:00 PM

Also, it's not a good idea to run Defrag software unless you absolutely know what you're doing. Defragging your computer can lead to some very complex problems.

Since this thread seem`s pretty much to have run it`s course with the OP being directed to the proper forum.

I want to ask the basis for the above quote.

#15 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:25 PM

Also, it's not a good idea to run Defrag software unless you absolutely know what you're doing. Defragging your computer can lead to some very complex problems.

Since this thread seem`s pretty much to have run it`s course with the OP being directed to the proper forum.

I want to ask the basis for the above quote.

I was first to reply and directed OP to 'Am I infected?'
I misread 'Defogger' as 'Defraggler'; thinking OP was attempting to Degragment their PC. My apologies.
Nosce te ipsum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users