Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice Needed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ritchie2100

ritchie2100

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:47 PM

Hi there.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-internet-security-2011

Every couple of months or so I've run into this virus and each time it is getting harder to get rid of (the last time I had to restore to factory settings and even then it wasn't fully gone). I was wondering if there is an anti-virus programme that'll block this from downloading itself onto my machine before it's too late?

I currently have Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Windows Security Essentials, SUPERantispyware and Hitman Pro all installed. Is this too many and is there any better alternatives out there?

Thanks

ritchie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:59 AM

Choosing a security toolkit with anti-virus, firewall and anti-malware programs is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, available technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use and your system. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no best anti-virus. For more specific information to consider, please read Choosing Your Anti-virus Software and How to choose a firewall.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Just because one anti-virus detected threats that another missed, does not mean its more effective. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Security vendors use different scanning engines and different detection methods such as heuristic analysis or behavioral analysis which can account for discrepancies in scanning outcomes. Depending on how often the anti-virus database is updated can also account for differences in threat detections.

Further, each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense, safe computing and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

If you keep getting reinfected you may want to read How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected which explains the most common ways malware is contracted and spread.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 spc3rd

spc3rd

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:47 AM

Morning Quietman7!

Although, I am new to this site...your advice is right on target! In the past 4 weeks, I had been hit with 4 malware infections (one while on a trusted website - i.e. the McAfee SiteAdvisor displayed a green icon for it; another malware problem (a PUP called WhiteSmoke)also picked up on a website; and 2 infections acquired after opening emails in my Hotmail account (1 of which was from a trusted U.S. Government source).

[I'm running a Dell Dimension Tower with Win XP Professional, SP3, with McAfee (provided by my ISP), and also have Malwarebytes (the FREE version) on my computer as well). After the last malware infection, I'd received advice to update my Java from version 21 to 25,to remove the Java Runtime Environment from the Add/Remove list in the Control Panel, and update my Adobe to Adobe Reader 10. So far...things seem to be o.k. Unfortunately, because of all the malware problems being churned out every day by the cretins who engage in this dispicable conduct, I've made it a regular practice to run a scan with Malwarebytes after EACH visit to the Internet!

Thanks very much for all your time and assistance in helping older folks like me out!

Edited by spc3rd, 10 May 2011 - 08:48 AM.

spc3rd

Dell Optiplex 755 Desktop | Win 7 Pro, SP 1, 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 gHz CPU | 8 GB RAM | 400 GB Seagate SATA HDD | Outpost Security Suite Pro | MBAM Premium 2.0 | Spywareblaster | SAS (on-demand) | Blocklist Pro | IE 11 & FF w/ NoScript | Disconnect | Adblock Plus | Flagfox

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,773 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:07 AM

You're welcome.

I recommend taking advantage of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Pro) Protection Module in the full version which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology runs at startup where it monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. The database that defines the heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it. Keep in mind that Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like an anti-virus program so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute. Enabling the Protection Module feature requires registration and purchase of a license key that includes free lifetime upgrades and support. After activation, Malwarebytes can be set to update itself and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis. The Protection Module is not intrusive as the program utilizes few system resources and should not conflict with other scanners or anti-virus programs.

If any conflicts between Malwarebytes' and another security program are reported, suggested solutions are usually provided in the Common Issues, Questions, and their Solutions, FAQs thread. I know and have worked with some members of the research team so I can attest that they make every effort to resolve issues as quickly as possible.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users