Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What was your first computer

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 PC Wizard

PC Wizard

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:06 PM

Hello guys,

What was your first computer?

For me it was a AMD running Windows 98 SE. With a 3MB Graphics Card and 7GB Hard-Drive. :blink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:40 PM

Commodore 128 with whopping 128K of RAM (2x64K) :)
Bought it around 1987.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:33 PM

Apple II GS

Release date September 1986
Introductory price $999 USD
Discontinued December 1992
Operating system Apple ProDOS,
Apple GS/OS
CPU 65C816
Memory 256 KB or 1 MB (expandable up to 8 MB)

WOW a MASSIVE 8 mb!!!! Think of all the things you can do! :P

Posted Image

#4 Styck

Styck

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:39 PM

Gateway...don't even remember model #...but do remember it died 1 wk after buying it..
Was on the phone with SUPPORT..got handed off to 3 different people..got a lil ticked when #3 asked to try...several different keystrokes...hold this key down...yadda yadda yadda...told him that none of the suggestions were working...he comes back with.."well what's your problem??"I came back with I'm calling my bank and telling the to stop payment...and LO and BEHOLD...Main Supervisor comes on and tells me there is no need to do that...that they would give me the address of one of their support offices in the DFW area..took em 2 wks to figure out it was the hard drive..ran it till the power light wouldn't even come on..Since then it's been HP...and this one I'm on right now is just waitin for a major fubar and it'll be replaced...do have 1 son that is proficient with systems..and seems to know his way around the systems....but I'll just run em till they drop n go buy another

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:21 PM

Mine was a 80286 16mhz
1 meg ram
2 40 meg mard drives
Amber monitor
No sound card
No CDRom
Had a modem though (that was back when the BBSes were popular)

800 bucks used.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:19 AM

I had a TI 99(?) for about a week. Then I went out and bought an Amstraad. Had 2, 5&1/2" floppy drives, with a color monitor! I thought I was living. Later I put in a 20meg hard drive, and was amazed at all that it could hold! :lmao:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#7 Oz Steve

Oz Steve

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:44 AM

Mine was an 808 Amstrad
Boy that was a long time ago
My dad gave it to me for free:-)

Edited by Oz Steve, 10 May 2011 - 05:45 AM.

#8 sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:14 PM

My first was a newly released Commodore Vic-20. I spent the next several years working on programming in BASIC and then finally graduated to a Commodore64. Feeling nastolgic I recently purchased another C64 and the 5.25" disk drive as well as some blank disks :). I hope to someday get back into programming again in BASIC as I still feel the quote "anything can be done in 1k" is still true. Despite the demise of the company I still feel this particular manufacturer made the biggest impact on computing as we know it today.

#9 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:16 PM

My first was an HP Pavillion. 230MhZ Celeron (or was it 320?) with 64MB ram, dial up, 4 gig hard drive. Windows 98SE. With a Sony Trinitron 15" monitor. (($650.00 total in 1999))
What a horrid thing......but, when the processor fan died, killing the Celeron, I decided to learn about hardware and stuff. I have not really stopped for a day since.

I found the exact model on the side of the road years later and mounted it in a wooden box. I still have it for laughs.
Posted Image

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 15 May 2011 - 10:45 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#10 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:22 PM

Well, my first "computer" was a Digi-comp mechanical computer. I got it when it came out, in 1963.

My first electronic computer was a Commodore VIC=20, followed by a C-64.

My first serious computer was an AT&T UNIX PC, in 1987. It came with a 10 MB hard drive, which I swapped out for a 40 MB hard drive. It ran UNIX System V Release 2, and I kept it running until it got taken down by a variation of the Y2K bug -- UNIX handled the new year okay, but the "User Agent" windowing interface clicked over from 1999 to 19100. :angry:

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:28 PM

Posted Image
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 Byuntae

Byuntae

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:34 AM

First computer my family ever owned was a 98. First computer I ever owned myself was a ME.

#13 pacificdenizen

pacificdenizen

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 03:01 PM

They have now re-released the Commodore 64, with 2011 specs. :)

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/06/the-new-commodore-64-updated-with-its-old-exterior/

#14 pacificdenizen

pacificdenizen

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2011 - 03:04 PM

I had a Coleco Adam Computer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleco_Adam

"Its price gave a complete system: an 80 kB RAM computer, tape drive, letter-quality printer, and software including the Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom video game. The IBM PCjr sold for $669 but included no peripherals, and although the popular Commodore 64 sold for around $200, its price was not much lower after the purchase of a printer, tape or disk drive, and software.

Like many home computers of its day, it is intended to use a television set for its display."

#15 joggiwagga

joggiwagga

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:41 AM

first computer i played on was a IBM-compatible mix that ran windows 3.1

i particularly miss playing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmo%27s_Cosmic_Adventure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users