Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is/was the worst OS?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 PC Wizard

PC Wizard

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:01 PM

Hello guys,

What is/was the worst OS ever?

For me it was Vista and ME. Both I have used and although I have liked them, I did have problems. I think Vista was rushed in the end and with ME, well it was just Windows 98 SE with a large service pack.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:02 PM

Vista made me want to slit my wrists.

Posted Image

#3 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:09 PM

There are two operating systems I dislike and Vista is both of them.
It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:37 PM

windows ME number one, I have never seen a computer with windows ME that ran stable. 98 ran stable, ME never. With vista coming in second, lot of bugs, and once you got those ironed out (which you can) it was still a performance hog.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:01 PM

ME was a rushed to market "gap" filler between 98 and XP.
Released only to fill a big time span between 98SE and XP as to keep MS`s name prominent.

Vista was supposed to have been what Win7 seem`s to be. It took to long in development so in a manner of speaking it was rushed as well.
Have heard many, many in the know say Win7 is Vista + SP2. But due to the negative press Vista got the name was changed.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:12 AM

How is ME unstable, i've used it before and it worked fine for me?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:56 AM

How is ME unstable, i've used it before and it worked fine for me?

I think that it is how the user go to work with the computer.
Before I went working with Windows Xp Home, had I Windows 98Se and I can tell that I hadn't problems with that.
Just like you.
I found Windows 98Se a delicious o.s. program.

Some humans don't know how a Computer works.
They thinking from my opinion: I buy a Computer and maintenance is not needed.
Than find they weird when the Computer will be working slow and or they get other problems.
In this content must I thinking at my ex-wife, before she went working with Windows Xp Home, had she Windows Me and she had regular problems with her Computer.
She did then ask me or I want help her.
Yes of course, I saw her Windows Register and I can tell you, I got more gray hair than I had.
I have many times clean up her Computer then she had Windows Me.
There are humans they thinking, Windows Register clean up when you have removed programs, what a nonsense, it is not necessary for to do that, I can tell you, it is important that you clean your Windows register.
I maintenance my Computer and I have since I work with the Computer, no problems with the o.s.
I am a member since 2010 and you don't see me with Computer problems.
How is that possible? Is that luck or is that I do know what I doing?
What I will say is as next:

When an user take cares that he or she maintenance the Computer than have the user no problems.
The most Computer problems appears by bad maintenance through the user.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:57 AM

Moist of the systems I worked with were buggy/crashed a lot and was far more virus prone then 98se was, and the supposed new hardware support was iffy at best. If all you did was check your email, then me was fine. Most of the time. Beyond that, it was next to useless.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:20 PM

I played games on Windows ME :thumbup2:

Edited by killerx525, 02 May 2011 - 04:20 PM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:26 PM

solitaire and pinball dont count :P

picard5.jpg

#11 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:46 PM

@ThunderZ: ...Have heard many, many in the know say Win7 is Vista + SP2. But due to the negative press Vista got the name was changed.

Interesting. I hadn't heard or read that until you posted it and I respect your opinions/observations enough to give them much weight. Having said that, what do you think of Vista SP2/ Windows 7 or Ham Sandwich OS or whatever it's called overall?

Thanks,
Thug.

Edited by Union_Thug, 02 May 2011 - 07:46 PM.

#12 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:35 PM

:hysterical:

killerx525

Posted Today, 07:20 AM
I played games on Windows ME :thumbup2:

the_patriot11

Posted Today, 09:26 AM
solitaire and pinball dont count :P

Actually, Killer makes a good point and shows why I loathe Vista.

I don't have much time for ME, but at least ME would let you alter Hardware, play DOS Games and generally let you be in command of your Computer without locking you out, like Vista does.

Funny enough XP SP3 does the exactr same thing as Vista and takes control off the User, hench it's promotion into my worst OS List. XP with SP2 is right there with WIN98SE as the Best OS made. Windows 7 will possibly get there with it's SP2, but I ain't holding my breath waiting for it.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:26 PM

I have`t compared them side by side, code line for code line. But know those who have looked pretty deep into both.

Was told the similarities are many.

Never played with Vista enough to get an impression. Those I know that have agree pretty much with what we have all read. Vista was not ready for prime time release.
Believe MS has pretty much admitted as much with their quick follow up release of 7 as well as ending support for Vista while carrying support till 2014 for XP.

My take. From the playing I have done with 7, be it on very dated hardware, I like it.
Have a new build in the planning stages. Will be more then capable of running anything for the foreseeable future. Win7 64 is a definite contender for the OS to be installed instead of XP 64. And I`m generally not one who take easily to change.

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:30 PM

Funny enough XP SP3 does the exactr same thing as Vista and takes control off the User, hench it's promotion into my worst OS List.

I tweak my OS (XP SP3) till it screams. Let it up for a breath, then tweak it some more.

Have experienced no problems where I felt I was still not in control.

#15 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:03 PM

Vista and XP SP3 does this exact same thing.

Changing inboard Video to AGP Video Card, causes instant lock out. I have more, but not just yet.

I am truely not into Conspiritary Theories, just Facts.

Maybe some Members can install XP with SP2 and refuse SP3 when M$soft offers it and see what I mean, It is totally different, as they will see.

SP2 allows complete control to the Owner, not SP3.

SP2 allows the Owner 30 days before Activating and allows all updates, so that ALL Hardware is set up properly. SP3 requires instant activation, before allowing Updates.

This also applies to the Tech thot is rePrograming a Legal System.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 03 May 2011 - 12:28 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users