Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Ip's

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ShadowSniper

ShadowSniper

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:08 AM

Okay, heres my dilema.
My dad got really into this internet game (x-wars) and he has gotten paranoid about being banned because they do IP checks and ban multiaccounts. He Multiaccounts on several computers through a lynxsis router. He has gone and put a 5-port hub between the cable modem and the router because he went and bought a new Ip address. He has his computer plugged into the HUB and my sibling's and my computer's plugged into the router. After he plugged the Hub in, there was a notable increase in "lag" aka, the internet has gotten hella slow. I did a check a while before the stupid hub was plugged in and it used to be at around 3mb/s. Now it is at 1mb/s. My online FPS's have been unable to function as they used to and I have been losing alot more. Is there a way to assign the Ip address that he bought to his one computer and have all of our going through the router's external Ip instead of having his lame Hub in the loop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 02 January 2006 - 02:38 AM

I'm afraid you are going to have to be much more precise with your details to get a sensible answer. What make and model is this Hub? Is it really just a Hub? If so what speed is it designed for?
You said your internet connection

used to be at around 3mb/s. Now it is at 1mb/s.

Do you mean 3Mb/sec or 3MB/sec? It is possible that the Hub is only 10Mb/sec (the old Ethernet standard) which might explain the slowing of your internet connection. (Since 10Mb/sec=1MB/sec approx.)

he went and bought a new Ip address

Can you expand on that please?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users