Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti Virus Software

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Junior2007

Junior2007

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:16 PM

I have been a long time user of Microsoft Security Essentials for my AV and it has worked well. After hearing about the newer Ad Aware Free Internet Security getting positive reviews I gave it a try. The download was enormous, took a very long time even with a DSL connection but it installed fine and all was well until I had 2 websites that I normally visit were giving me a redirect to some type of Yahoo Beta Search Page or something. Then on top of that I kept getting notified in my system tray that anti virus was turned OFF. If I clicked the Ad Aware icon it was showing as ON, so this was troubling. A full Ad Aware scan showed no viruses detected and a full Malwarebytes scan showed nothing also. I decided to switch to Avira Antivir Personal Free AV, ditched the Ad Aware, and completed another full system scan with this as well as Malwarebytes. No viruses, and the redirects were no longer happening! My PC's are clean and running great once again. I use the aforementioned software as well as CCleaner and Auslogics disc defragger. Do I, or should I, try a stand alone spyware program to supplement these? I have used Superantispyware before and I know it is recommended by folks here. Would adding it be overkill? Thanks for any input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:58 PM

Adding SAS to what you already have is not overkill.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:01 AM

I recommend using SUPERAntiSpyware Free as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner. The free version does not provide real-time protection or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup and waste system resources. This gives you another tool to use as a second opinion or in the event of malware infection where some of your tools may be disabled.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Junior2007

Junior2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:07 PM

Thanks for the replies. I will add it to my computer.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:58 AM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif