Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck in start up loop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

#1 Rixbiz2

Rixbiz2

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:36 PM

I attempted to removed a virus using hijack this. It had previously said that the virus could only be removed by the administrator. I booted in safe mode as adminstrator, ran HJT and parsed. I fixed 2 "red" items a 04 and a 23. after fixing I reran HJT the 23 was still there. I tried to fix it again and restarted. When it was starting up in normal, most of my desk top icons were missing. So I restarted again, by hard booting. I may not have allowed the system to finish starting before restarting.

Now, the system will not go past the boot menu. Regardless of which boot method I choose, the system attempts to start but returns to the boot menu.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:09 PM

I've added this topic to our Unbootable Computers topic...hopefully, someone will attempt to assist you within the next 24 hours (we cannot predict the schedules of Staff/members, all of whom are volunteers and lead other lives).

Louis

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:39 AM

Hello, first of all lets see if we can find a bit more information.

We Need to Diagnose Your BlueScreen
  • When you boot your machine, press F8 to list the startup options, exactly as you would if you were trying to enter Safe Mode
  • Select "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure", as shown here:
    Posted Image
  • When your system BSODs, write down the STOP error code, as well as any written out error message back here. The STOP error will always appear, but the message may not. You are looking for this:
    Posted Image
Please post me the error(s).

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#4 Rixbiz2

Rixbiz2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

HI Elise,
Thanks for the help.

I do not get the exact same screen when I try to boot. The difference is after the fist three "safe mode" options, the only other options are "Last known good config" and start normally.

regardless of which I choose, it goes into the loop.

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,318 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:19 AM

Please keep your finger on the F8 button, select normal mode, press enter and immediately afterwards F8. That ought to bring up the Advanced Boot options menu (it might take a few tries to get this).

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#6 Rixbiz2

Rixbiz2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:50 PM

That worked to get me to the correct boot menu, however, the error screen flashed by. I was unable to see it to get the error codes. I tried several times, same result.

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,318 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:58 AM

Do you remember what O23 entry you did fix (a name or filename or so)?

Can you describe more in detail what malware infection you had? What symptoms were there?

regards, Elise

#8 Rixbiz2

Rixbiz2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:49 PM

No, Unfortunately I don't. It may have been a cfsmon.....? The sympton was I wasn't able to access online banking. after entering my passcode, it would go to a IE connection error. I tried accessing the bank on another computer and did not have a problem. This obvioulsy concerned me. I ran malwarebytes, but it didn't find anything. so I restored to a previous day. everything worked fine, but I was still concerned about my banking info, do I ran the HJT. Hope this helps you help me :)

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,318 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:59 PM

Do you have an XP CD at hand we can use?

regards, Elise

#10 Rixbiz2

Rixbiz2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:33 PM

No, my laptop di not come with a disc.

#11 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,318 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:29 AM

When booting into safe mode, what is the last driver you see on the screen before the computer restarts?

regards, Elise

#12 ngм

ngм

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:09 AM

That worked to get me to the correct boot menu, however, the error screen flashed by. I was unable to see it to get the error codes. I tried several times, same result.

I'd re-try what elise025 suggested. Only this time, record your PC monitor with a video camera. You'll be able to re-view the video and pause it the moment the error messages flashes by, capturing the error.

Edited by ngм, 05 May 2011 - 04:09 AM.

Nosce te ipsum.

#13 Rixbiz2

Rixbiz2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:44 PM

drivers.MUP.SYS

#14 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,318 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:51 AM

When you try normal mode, do you see any screen except for the Windows splash screen (for example the welcome screen)?

regards, Elise

#15 TheDudeWithTude

TheDudeWithTude

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:11 PM

A start up loop... That sounds like something that would occur with ZeuS or a fake video codec. Did you download anything suspicious looking beforehand, any executables with weird names, one that didn't do anything, or without a digital signature?
If life gets you down, start tunneling, you might find some juicy dirt on others.

When life gives you lemons, squeeze the juice into the other persons eyes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users