Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using OCZ Vertex 3 SSD inside a Dell XPS 17 L702x

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 darkblue99

darkblue99

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:58 AM

I just purchased a Dell XPS 17 L702x laptop, which comes with a Toshiba HDD inserted into one of two available hard drive slots (I attached an image showing the bottom of the laptop with the cover off). To speed things up, I thought I would install a SSD into the primary hard drive slot. I've never done this before and I'm certainly not a computer expert but reading various forums and websites the general consensus seemed to be that it's not that difficult to do this successfully.

I purchased a 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 SATA III 2.5" SSD, which I have tried to install but which won't work correctly. I was wondering if anyone could possibly tell me what I might be doing wrong and what might be the correct way to do things?

I didn't receive the OEM version of Windows 7 with the laptop, so made the recovery discs through Windows after switching the laptop on for the first time. I then removed the Toshiba HHD from the HDD1 slot and put it into the HDD2 slot. I inserted the Vertex 3 SSD into the HDD1 slot and tried to restore the operating system onto this drive. This seemed to work fine, but when I go to restart the laptop, all I get is a black screen with a flashing underscore. Nothing happens from there. I can go into setup when the laptop is booting up and both the Vertex 3 SSD and the Toshiba HDD are recognised. It does seem like a software issue rather than anything being wrong with the hardware, although I suppose there could be an issue with the SSD.

Are there any settings I need to alter? I've read in some places that you need to install the OEM version of Windows on the SSD. I've also read that people recommend using a SATA docking station when installing a second drive. Or am I doing something else wrong that might be causing the problem? :huh: Any advice would be much appreciated. :thumbup2:

Attached Files

• Attached File  Dell.jpg   54.04KB   13 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:27 PM

hi, i have never done this myself ,but might i suggest removing the 2nd hdd and just booting with the ssd drive in

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 darkblue99

darkblue99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:03 AM

Thanks for your reply. :thumbup2: Doesn't make any difference though unfortunately.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:22 AM

Thanks for your reply. :thumbup2: Doesn't make any difference though unfortunately.

i have installed windows on 100's of hdd but not on a ssd yet ,so i really don't have any suggestions,sort of sounds like a mbr problem with the black screen and cursor/underscore. a google search on errors when install to ssd drive are many ,sorry

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 darkblue99

darkblue99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:17 PM

That's OK, thanks for making a suggestion anyway. :thumbup2: I've still got a few possible solutions to try, but not had any luck so far with it.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:44 AM

I am thinking you will need a Dell specific copy of whichever version of WIN7 you have. I have run into similar problems when trying to use restore disks on anything but the original drive on Dell and HP/Compaq systems.

Any Dell OEM disk should work, as long as it is the same version. It doesn't have to be specific for your model as long as it is a Dell disk.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 darkblue99

darkblue99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for that dpunisher. Someone else said the same thing to me. The problem I have is that Dell are refusing to give me the OEM disc. Four times I've asked them, via phone, email and letter to their customer services. The person I spoke to on the phone didn't even know what I was talking about, one email was ignored, my letter was ignored and I got this response to my other email:

Dear XXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Dell Customer Care. We apologized for the inconvenience for the late reply.

In reference of your email about the OEM copy of Windows 7. We no longer provide the media disc for it however you can download them and burn them on this link:

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

and enter your service tag

Please reply back to my email james_louie_tagal@dell.com

Thank you very much for your time and patience, and for choosing Dell! Have a nice day!

Regards,

James Tagal
Customer Care Associate
Dell | Consumer UK/Ireland

Yet I can go online now and try to purchase the same Dell laptop, with the OEM disc included (for 5 extra). The link he gives above doesn't allow you to burn Windows discs, it just contains a list of drivers available to download. The online form on the UK Dell site for requesting backup discs doesn't work and just gives an error message.

I replied to the above email pointing all of this out, and saying that I'd be quite happy to pay them the fee for the Windows disc. This email has been completely ignored.

I'm not sure what to do next. I have a SSD that wasn't exactly cheap, and it's just sitting there unable to be used. I've tried different ways of installing it, except of course I haven't used an OEM copy of Windows, and nothing so far has done the trick.

At this rate I'll just end up selling the SSD on eBay. <_<

#8 xsphera

xsphera

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:05 AM

theres a few things u can do

1) install a clean copy of W7 on ur sdd, followed by installing the drivers manually

2) copy the image of ur current hdd over to ur sdd

3) get someone to make an image of that OEM disk and upload it for u to dl and burn

how much would u sell that ssd for anyway

#9 lkegley9

lkegley9

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:15 PM

This is what I would do in the situation.

Make an exact copy of the Toshiba HDD onto the SSD using a piece of disk copy software such as Clonezilla or Macrium Reflect. Haven't used either but should be pretty good since one of my co-workers uses Clonezilla a fair amount. Also heard good things about Macrium. But if you want to purchase disk copying software, Norton Ghost is pretty nice. Its what I use at my workplace but its the 03 edition, but I imagine the newest ones are even better.

Either that, or pick up an OEM disc of Windows 7 Home Premium/Pro/Ultimate, whatever version is on your machine, and then skip the serial input while installing, and when W7 is installed on the hard drive, then activate it using your OEM serial. Trust me, it won't work during the install process but it works while running Windows. Don't know why exactly, but it does.

#10 darkblue99

darkblue99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:34 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. :thumbup2: Sorry to sound stupid, but I'm not the world's biggest computer expert so I have a few questions:

1. It seems that installing a clean version of Windows 7 is the way to go. As already mentioned, I didn't get the system specific copy with the Dell laptop. However, I do have a desktop PC with Windows 7 installed on it. I have the Windows 7 CDs with that; can I install that on the laptop (even though it's already activiated on the other PC) and then activate it? If so, would I use the serial number from that copy of Windows? Or the serial number on the bottom of the laptop from the pre-installed version?

2. If I am copying an image of the original HDD onto the SDD, will I need a SATA docking station to do this? I don't have one but could easily get one and have seen this mentioned in a few places when it comes to making a drive image.

3. If I do eventually give up and sell the SDD, I'll likely just put in on eBay with a 0.01 starting price auction. In the UK at least, these Vertex 3 SSDs have been hard to come by and have been out of stock almost everywhere until recently. So I am sure I would get most of my money back (it cost me 432 or so). That's a last resort though, having read the latest responses, I hope I can get the SSD working soon.

Sorry if I'm asking obvious questions, but like I say I've never tried installing an extra drive before and it all sounded like such a good idea when someone originally mentioned it. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users