Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setup can't find hard drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dtur

dtur

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:25 AM

Odd problem I'm having...

My Asus netbook won't boot to the OS (Win XP Home, SP3). Seagate seatools says the disk is fine, Acronis boot disk looks at the disk and performed an image restore, reporting success. The Asus restore disk performed an OEM restore, and reports success, but the OS still won't load. So the last thing I did was boot to the XP setup ISO, and it quits because it says it can't find the hard disk. It won't take me far enough to load the recovery console. Anyone got any ideas?

DBear

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:06 PM

What is the exact error message...after using the built-in restore-to-factory-defaults feature?

System model?

Louis

#3 dtur

dtur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:00 PM

Hi Hamlius, thanks for responding.
The machine is an Asus Eee model 1005HAB.

There is no error message at that point. I need to elaborate further;

When powering up, I see a screen that announces the bios revision, and that gives options to enter setup. I am unable to enter setup. Tapping F2 (or any other key) does nothing. After a moment I see

"Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (BUILD 082)
Copyright © 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.0.0.4..."

After a moment I see

"CLIENT MAC ADDR: 90 E6 BA 68 0C DB GUID: 80AA4063-681C-4681-2484-90E6BA680CDB DHCP..."

After a moment

"PXE-E51: No DHCP or proxy DHCP offers were received.
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key."

When doing a factory restore with the supplied boot disk, it finishes and simply reports that the restore was successful.

When doing an image restore from Acronis True Image, it performs the restore and reports that it was successful. It shows a graph describing the C: drive and the restore partition, but when I reboot we go back to the routine described above.

I inserted a win XP install ISO and it would not work because "Setup cannot detect a hard disk. Press F3 to reboot"

I hope any of this makes sense. The reason I tried the install ISO is because I wanted to try to repair the MBR, but setup would not go that far.

Dbear

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:09 PM

The biggest problem is that you can't get into the bios. I believe that if you can, and you change the boot order so the hd is the first device, you'll be fine.

When you first boot and see the message to press the appropriate key to enter setup, keep tapping that key (F2 or whichever is right for your system) and see if you can force it into bios.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,885 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:13 PM

That PXE notification...indicates that the system is trying a network boot.

This can happen because of a dying CMOS battery, which makes the system default to the original configuration options used to install Windows.

Louis

#6 dtur

dtur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:43 PM

Yes, I see what you mean. Not likely that it's a low batt, machines only 15 months old. If it is the battery, would a new one let the machine revert to a normal bios? I'll change it tomorrow just to eliminate the possibility.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:46 PM

That PXE notification...indicates that the system is trying a network boot.

This can happen because of a dying CMOS battery, which makes the system default to the original configuration options used to install Windows.

Louis

Correct - which is why you need to change the boot order to the hd first.

#8 dtur

dtur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:30 PM

Kudos to Hamlius...a million thanks!

It did turn out to be the CMOS battery. Upon installing a new one the netbook was back to normal. Damn, I already bought my wife a new one so I guess I inherited a new toy!

Thanks again, and I hope some other users will gain some help from this.

DTur

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,885 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:25 AM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users