Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error loading operating system

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kik4adog

kik4adog

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:03 AM

I was trying to fix my dad's computer for him after he got a virus. He tried a couple of different virus removal programs and none of them were successful at removing it so I told him I would format his hard drive and reinstall Windows XP on his PC. I've done this many times before on my own machine but it seems like with more recent computers they (probably in an effort to make them more user friendly) they've avtually made it harder to do formatting etc in DOS.

I have a Windows XP disc that came with the computer. It doesn't appear to be a restore disc but the actual operating system itself. I tried just booting the computer off the disc and finally was able to get in to where I completely reformatted the portion of the hard drive that Widows was installed on. I figured when I rebooted the machine it would just load windows off of the CD Rom and everything would be back to normal but now I am just getting an "error loading operating system" on the black DOS boot up screen and I can't do anything from there except just reboot the computer. I've tried everything including going into the system setup and making sure the hard drive is recognized and runing a diagnostic on the harddrive and everything checks out OK. I've even swapped out the CD Rom just to make sure that wasn't the problem. The only thing I can think of, if the hard drive was evidently partitioned (I'm not too familiar with partitioning) and I removed the partitions whenever I was trying to reformat the hard drive. I guess that wasn't such a smart thing to do but I don't know if that has anything to do with my problem or not.

If anyone can help at all I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:10 AM

You are not booting to the cd. If the disc is a retail, XP CD you CANNOT get that message if the system boots to it.

Edited by Allan, 01 May 2011 - 10:11 AM.

#3 kik4adog

kik4adog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:50 PM

The only thing I can think then is that the disc isn't a full version of Windows XP because I can hear the disc spinning in the CD Rom whenever the computer boots up and I still get the error message.

The disc reads "Operating System-Already installed on your computer. Reinstallation DVD Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition with Update Rollup 2". And then there's a line that says "The software is already installed on your computer. Only use this DVD to reinstall the operating system on a Dell PC". So, to me, it certainly sounds like it's a full version of Windows XP and not just a recovery CD.
Any thoughts or suggestions on what I can do?

Thanks for all your help.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:46 AM

The fact that the disc spins at boot doesn't mean the system is trying to boot to that disc. Go into bios and make sure the optical drive is the first device in the boot order.

#5 kik4adog

kik4adog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:40 PM

Yes it is the first device in the boot order and the hard drive is the 2nd device.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:50 AM

Well, either something is wrong with the cd or the cd drive. If you get a black DOS screen and a message saying the OS is not found, you are not booting to the cd.

#7 kik4adog

kik4adog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:28 PM

OK...Thank you. I actually finally got it working. I swapped out the DVD Rom with another one that I had laying around and it worked. I don't know why the other one wouldn't boot. Once I got Windows reinstalled and up and running I connected the original DVD Rom up to the computer and it is working fine. The only thing I can think is masybe when I formatted the hard drive it deleted the drivers for the DVD Rom.

Thanks for your help.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:06 AM

There are no drivers for optical drives, but okay. As long as you're up and running that's fine. Don't forget to install the chipset driver followed by all other drivers (get them from the OEM websites, not from Windows Update).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users