Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lack of Monitor Signal on Boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 deconistor

deconistor

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:01 AM

Earlier today, a friend of mine came to my house so I could help him diagnose a strange problem with his computer. Ironically, now my computer is having essentially the same problem.

I am unable to get signal from my my on-board graphics card or my NVIDIA 9800.
This happened after I pulled out the 9800 so that my friend could plug it into his computer to test if his had gone bad. To pull the card out of my computer meant pulling out CPU power supply cable. When I reassembled my computer, I could not get a signal on my monitor at all.

The diagnosis I have done so far include trying the on-board plug, and the card's plug with two different monitors. Unplugging everything except the CPU, RAM, and CPU fan and trying to get a signal. I found that the keyboard attached blinks its three lights once and than I cannot get a further response from it (by pressing the num lock, and caps lock keys). Unfortunately, I was not able to test the PSU appropriately yet.

I'm aware that the information I provided may not be adequate, but it is very late and I will provide any further info tomorrow.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:26 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I see your post has not been answered in a few days, I also see you did not come back to supply the information you said you would provide us with the next day.

So I am not sure if you resolved your problem or not.

I will however provide a answer based on what you have already told us here.

There is a possibility your friends motherboard or system has a serious electrical error and his system may have zapped your video card, putting that card into your system may have zapped your system.

When you first boot up your system are you able to see at least the system BIOS screen?

It is not all too common to blow out the on-board video processor when installing a bad expansion card into the expansion slot, but it can happen.

Try removing the expansion card altogether from the system, make sure monitor is on the VGA port and attempt to boot system and try to get into the BIOS setup utility screen if at all possible.

If it fails to display on-board video, examine the power supply connections and make sure they are all connected and secure.
Make sure your motherboard is not shorting out anywhere to the computer case, sometimes the motherboard can shift when cards are added or removed, the board may have shifted creating a short near where the mounts are located.

Try moving the motherboard jumper to re-set your BIOS, most motherboards have those jumpers they are commonly located near the CMOS battery and are often labled CLR_CMOS

If all fails, that card may have bricked your motherboard.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 04 May 2011 - 10:28 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users