Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIN 7 PROF upgrade & update issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bobbyb444

bobbyb444

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:07 PM

Hi Folks! :busy: New here, and would appreciate any answers you can provide. Please also advise if I need to do a separate scan for issues.

I have original HP-OEM Vista Home Basic bundled on 32-bit laptop (HP dv6000 Pavilion) purchased in 2007. Recovery files are in separate partition D on hard drive. In May 2010, I upgraded to a legitimately-purchased WIN 7 "Home Premium".

On or about April 11 this year, I ended up downloading a virus from a Wordpress political blog (WordPress aknowledges some security issues later). Virus is named as "FakeAV" (derivatives starting with "3415..." and "XFP..."--you know, the pop-ups that state "your computer's hard drive has many errors, too many trojans, etc. etc." which I "x-ed" out of). Since then, I downloaded updated malware and virus checkers on an alternate computer, and saved them to a flash-drive.

I opened my infected laptop in SAFE mode, and did a scan from the flash-drive, and came up with several trojans, as above. I then rebooted in NORMAL mode, and did an on-line scan (TrendMicro House Call, Kaspersky) which downloaded virus definitions and did complete scans...found a few more trojans, although minimal. I then scanned via malwarebytes, AVG, WSE, and Spybot, and found a few more...

The next day, I re-scanned everything...computer 100% clean...been like that ever since, doing several daily scans.

However, I was not able to do automatic Windows updates...tried then failed. Did a Windows Fix using Advanced System Care (iObit.com), problem resolved temporarily until next reboot.

Figured I'd try to "Anytime Upgrade" for Windows 7 Professional to see if there was a problem with corrupt Windows files (I had wanted to upgrade anyway). After three attempts at upgrade, AU failed at the 7% mark and reverted back too (I think) Windows 7 Home Premium.

Automated Windows Update works partially, sometimes on, sometimes never...with error messages such as 8007005, error at 800f0826, missing support for filename extension *.vbs, etc.

At the moment, I am totally "windows" updated (after several on/off attempts), except for a recurring failure in AU of WIN 7 Pro, as well as continuous failure for WIN 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1.

Other symptoms have been graphic-based. When the viruses first occurred, my desktop icons became transparent (except for newly downloaded program icons--which were clear and vibrant). In addition, each browsers webpages were missing colors in their headers and radio-buttons, etc. (but the advertisements, of course, remained clear and colorful). I tried to "personalize" the desktop, but with mixed results. However, once I did another Advanced System Care scan, the browser pages came back (but the desktop icons would not--very transparent).

All drivers and programs are updated via Secunia.

I am attempting to get my $90 refunded for the WIN 7 PRO AU, but I suspect that Microsoft has conflicting refund policies (AU "terms and conditions" do not match Microsoft's online refund policies for electronic downloads).

Would appreciate any help. Thanks...!

BOB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:28 PM

Can you post any logs from the scans that showed files infected?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users