Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Dying

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tripleblack

tripleblack

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:02 PM

I get a S.M.A.R.T message at boot that the HDD is dying. I smell it and it's overheating.

I need to GHOST it right away. What is the best "cloning" program available as freeware?

Thanks

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:55 AM

Have a look in this topic.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:26 AM

In my opinion the best of breed is Acronis True Image, but it is not free. The best free alternative is Macrium Reflect.

#4 tripleblack

tripleblack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:10 AM

Thank you both!

There is good news in that I was mistaken about the odor. It is no longer apparent. The drive is a Seagate ST3250620A and is still under warranty. I have been maintaining a backup drive right along, and last backup performed was yesterday. Yesterday I ran the SeaTools free app, and I see that the HDD temp is a cool 91 degrees Fahrenheit. I also downloaded Seagate Disc Wizard, which I'l use to clone the HDD before I send it back for a warranty replacement.

I'll admit that I panicked when I saw the SMART warning, especially since this was coincident with an exorcism of a nasty Trojan which had been resident, unknowingly, for awhile. THIS IS DESPITE THE FACT THAT I HAVE MULTIPLE ANTVIRUS SCANNERS INSTALLED.......................NONE OF THEM PICKED IT UP. KASPERSKY VIRUS REMOVAL TOOL FOUND IT, PLUS THREE PERSISTENCE (RENEWAL) FILES ON THE SYSTEM VOLUME.

I ran a chkdsk /p and chkdsk /r both from the command line, but was inconclusive, since a second running of chkdsk /p after running the chkdsk /r showed no errors on the drive..............leading one to believe that the drive errors were successfully repaired. SeaTools confirmed a SMART failure, and a "short test" failure.

This computer has no battery backup, and has had numerous "hard shutdowns" over the last 2 1/2 years. MY GUESS IS THAT AT EACH "HARD SHUTDOWN" A NUMBER OF CLUSTERS ARE DESTROYED, AND THIS LAST "HARD SHUTDOWN" A FEW DAYS AGO EXHAUSTED THE ALLOWED RESERVE CLUSTERS AND TRIGGERED THE SMART WARNING.Is that a reasonable guess? I must also assume that if one or two more hard shutdowns occur before I replace this drive, that it will become unreadable and failed. Is that also a reasonable assumption? In other words, I must replace it ASAP, and before another hard shutdown might occur. Absent any hard shutdowns (due to power interruptions) this HDD could possibly last a very long time.

I'll get with Seagate today and arrange a warranty replacement. I don't see any provision on their part which allows a transfer from the old to the new drive BEFORE returning the old drive in order to get the replacement. This is important.

Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users