Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Water damage!? Maybe not.. What's going on!?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:00 PM

I'm very unsure, but I have a feeling it is.
This is the story, a Dell XPS m1530 was ontop of an air condition. I was used to doing this to an older dell, this one had no over heating problems.
Anyway, I left it there over night and I guess it had gained moisture, causing it to get wet on the inside. The PSU and everything is located through the bottom of the laptop, thus, causing the problem. BUT WAIT!

It wouldn't turn on, power button, then the other few media buttons ( play, skip, volume etc ) wouldn't flash.
Screen wouldn't turn on.
I pressed D and power at the same time, which made the screen turn on.
Blah.
Pressed FN and power, made the num blink and caps stay solid.
Reseated ram, didn't fix anything.
So I just left it on the floor and woke up the next day, it then turned on! It died as it needed to be charged, wouldn't turn back on. I don't have any heat sources, so I put it in the oven at 150 degrees. For about 10 minutes.
Maybe more, I don't remember. I was on the phone.

It turned on! I plugged it in and blah blah, great. Working.
Played some games, chatted. Everything seemed fine.
Decided to restart my computer, and then it wouldn't turn on anymore after it shut down...

I heated it, but only to the point where it was warm. I'm sure the water has evaporated by now, no? Maybe it's something else?

What could possibly be the problem? It seems if I leave it alone, or heat it, it will turn on. This is completely illogical, what could cause such an occurance?

Edited by ZlobIsFun, 30 April 2011 - 08:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:09 PM

Moisture takes a lot longer to dissipate and evaporate then you can ever imagine it would.

When you are heating up the unit, you really need to be careful not to melt the plastic video screen, it will certainly warp if too much heat gets to it.

Being that the laptop is basically a sealed unit, you can not expect the moisture to be able to escape into the atmosphere, it may move about, but it's basically stuck in there and will take some time to actually escape into the air on the outside.

Your best bet is to carefully remove the bottom cover or at least the keyboard pad and allow it to air dry for about a week, try to keep it away from moist areas in the meantime.

Time and patience will pay off, but continued nuking it in the oven will eventually cause you to do more damage than good.
Once you melt that screen, you'll have even more problems to worry about, so please be very careful.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users