Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resetting services in msconfig

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:57 PM

Hello, I'm resetting (from disabled) in msconfig. I had a glitch after installing sp1 that caused BSOD after login. After disabling startup and services i was able to login in normal (selective)startup. My question is whether the entire list of ms corp services need to be enabled or should i select a core set . I have been starting the ones I recognize and what not , but is there a windows 7 setup suggestion list or possible list of core services to enable.
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:04 PM

1) DO NOT use msconfig to set services or apps. Msconfig is a diagnostic utility. To set up services go to START - RUN - services.msc
2) Here's a good website for you: http://www.blackviper.com/

#3 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:28 PM

Allen ,thanks for your your input. Unfortunately as stated , i have gone into msconfig and disabled services and apps(startup) . And i have started enabling services , as a diagnostic way of finding a conflicting or other wize system halting service or app. I have opened services.msc and logged into your suggested web site.
Aside from the constructive crit. is there any further help available toward resurrecting my system. Sort of left hanging with allot of info.
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:31 PM

What do you mean resurrecting your system. Sorry, thought I answered your question.

#5 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:51 PM

After I updated to sp1 , my system wouldn't load up after login. it went to black screen with only cursor. never a warning message pop up . it would sit like that for 20 min until it went back to log in. I was able to go in in safe mode . that is where as a last ditch effort i modded msconfig.
At first i thought sp1 had not installed correctly . but it is listed as being there . I then thought maybe a vid driver issue . i rolled back ATI driver and even tried to load newest from thumb drive while in safe mode. Safe mode with net , went to the same black screen condition.
After turning off all services and startup apps. I was able to log in as normal .
I choose this route to try and turn on services and apps 1 by 1 or in sets to find the probable cause of the black screen after sp1 install.
But now , after accidentally starting all services and then unchecking them again as a whole im a bit lost as to finding the ones that i should have on.

#6 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:19 PM

Since my last post , I have started all services and the PC starts in normal mode still.:warrior:
I'm not sure, does this imply that a startup prog was reason for black screen? I'll start adding them back 1 by 1.

#7 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:50 PM

Still able to log in , woot!
Once i started adding startup progs in msconfig , i noticed that the check mark would leave the box for Zone alarm once i selected apply. So i went to services again and looked for Zone alarm related service that may have needed to be active for the prog to start at startup. It was the only service that had not started when i selected all to start? I placed a check in its box and clicked apply. As in startup, the check removed its self and di not apply.
I gave up trying to get Zone alarm back through msconfig figuring it was the wrong way to get it back anyways.
I went to there site and down loaded the installer and newest version(to be applied over old version). Its now is active and seems to be installed without issues. I'm able to access and use progs that after sp1 initial , i couldn't. Not sure of the cause of black screen. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users