Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vertical green bars across monitor

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:40 PM

My laptop's monitor is showing vertical green bars one pixel wide with 1 pixel in between each one all across the monitor. Also, about 3/4 of the way down the page is a thick black bar and then the top of the screen that's showing (i.e. top of the desktop of top of the browser that's open etc.) below that.

I can see the whole screen as if I had a smaller monitor with the same resolution on the upper 3/4 of the monitor and move the screen around by moving my mouse to the edges and such.

So, recap, I can see the desktop and use the computer normally, there are no performance issues, the entire desktop looks green due to the vertical bars, and I can see the top of the desktop at the bottom of the screen.

This happens in linux and window alike, as well as when the computer is starting up and in grub.

I will post pictures on Tuesday. (can't right now, my computer only has one working usb port and I need my mouse because my touchpad is kinda gone.)

Specs:
1GB DDR2
80GB Hard Drive
ATI Radeon X1440 Mobility
Intel 2.0GHz Processor (underclocked to 1.66GHz to compensate for heat issues)
Unknown Motherboard (doesn't show up in dxdiag due to unintentional damage a few months ago)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:59 PM

Is this an HP by chance?

Sounds like the LCD panel of the monitor is on it`s way out.
Other then replacement there is no fix I am aware of.

#3 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:08 PM

The point of the post was to diagnose the exact problem. I tried pushing the optical cable in farther, on both ends of the cable and it didn't do anything (except turn the monitor completely white momentarily) my friend suggested it was the motherboard, which would suck because then I can't use a spare monitor. My goal is to not get rid of this laptop until I can afford another one, I'm gonna need it for college next year, and compensating for problems without solving them is what I do best.

EDIT: it's an IBM Thinkpad T60 (as said in the description)

REDIT: I was told by a friend of mine that it might be a southbridge problem and that I probably need a new mobo. Any idea what a southbridge is?

Edited by sausage, 30 April 2011 - 05:00 PM.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:44 PM

EDIT: it's an IBM Thinkpad T60 (as said in the description)

I see no where in the initial post any such description. Only some hardware specs that could pertain to any number of lap top make and models.

REDIT: I was told by a friend of mine that it might be a southbridge problem and that I probably need a new mobo. Any idea what a southbridge is?

It is one of the chip sets hard soldered onto the mobo.

Unknown Motherboard (doesn't show up in dxdiag due to unintentional damage a few months ago)

Was it dropped?

My initial idea of the LCD screen going bad stands.
Either continuing to use as is, replacing the LCD screen, or purchasing an external monitor. I know of no other fix`s available.

#5 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:50 PM

The description as in the topic description, the little gray text under the title :P

It's been dropped several times, but that wasn't the damage, honestly I have no idea how it was damaged, but it prevented me from getting into windows for a while, it took me 3 days of pointless diagnosing pretty much every piece of hardware in this thing before I reformatted and got in, and now dxdiag doesn't show any mobo information, so I deduced that it was the motherboard. (the hard drive itself was fine, I could get into my windows files through linux and there were no problems in linux whatsoever.)

when I get back home I will try a seperate monitor and report the results. I do not see how the monitor can die overnight however.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:58 PM

Sorry. Did miss the little gray box. :blush:

Won`t go into the possible damage that can be done by dropping a lap top. You seem already well aware. :whistle:

Trying an external monitor would help as to decide as to whether it is a LCD or mobo\chip set issue. When LCD`s start going bad there is`t always a warning. Or warning signs.

Example, and the reason I asked if it was an HP. The wife`s lap top has basically the very same issue. One day it was fine, the next the lines started appearing. Every few days they seem to bring friends. <_<

#7 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:50 PM

ahh, ok. there weren't any green bars yesterday, then I get on 12 hours later and it's terrible. I will reply back on Monday night or Tuesday afternoon depending on how much time I have after I get home to mess around with this thing.

#8 HubCityPC

HubCityPC

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:34 PM

This could be a few things. You need to connect your laptop to an external monitor to start some troubleshooting. If the symptoms don't appear on the external, there's your answer...bad LCD. If they do, possible graphics card or mobo. Does this lappy have integrated graphics or a separate video card? You mentioned this is also happening in Linux. Are you booting to a live CD or are you running it in a virtual machine?

I just repaired a LCD on a Dell XPS and I had the same symptoms you are describing. However, the symptoms appeared on the new LCD. I updated video drivers, removed drivers, rolled back, etc. Turns out the new screen was not able to display the high resolution that was being put out by the NVIDIA card. When I disabled the driver and booted using the standard VGA driver all was well. I'm waiting on a replacement screen to see if that will do the trick.

Have you tried booting into safe mode using the standard VGA driver or using a lower resolution? Just curious....
Regards,
Kevin

#9 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:51 PM

Ok, let's take this one at a time.

You need to connect your laptop to an external monitor to start some troubleshooting

That's my next course of action

Does this lappy have integrated graphics or a separate video card?

I'm pretty sure it's a seperate card, but it's stock so I don't know for sure.

You mentioned this is also happening in Linux. Are you booting to a live CD or are you running it in a virtual machine?

Neither. It's a partitioned hard drive with both XP and Arch Linux.

Have you tried booting into safe mode using the standard VGA driver or using a lower resolution? Just curious....

Not sure what use that would do. As I described before, this happens at any time the monitor is on besides phase changes (i.e. changing from boot loader to OS or from startup password to bootloader) so I am certain it's not software. As for the standard VGA driver, if this were possible I would.

Edited by sausage, 30 April 2011 - 11:52 PM.

#10 HubCityPC

HubCityPC

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:04 AM

Not sure what use that would do. As I described before, this happens at any time the monitor is on besides phase changes (i.e. changing from boot loader to OS or from startup password to bootloader) so I am certain it's not software. As for the standard VGA driver, if this were possible I would.

By booting into safe mode, your current video driver will not load. It will load the standard VGA drive built into Windows. While in safe mode you could also disable the normal video driver in device manager and then try booting regularly to see what happens. If you still get the same symptoms in safe mode there is a pretty good chance it is indeed the LCD.

We need to figure out if the video card is the culprit (that's borrowing that your laptop doesn't have integrated graphics).

The test that will yield some quick answers is connecting to an external monitor. If you are not capable of doing that at this time, the above suggestions will begin to troubleshoot video card or video card drivers.
Regards,
Kevin

#11 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:20 AM

So, as expected, there was no change. A guy on the thinkpad forums has suggested that the "column drviers" in the LCD itself have failed, hopefully he's right because I can deal with a dead monitor, but not a dead GPU.

We'll know for sure on monday/tuesday.

#12 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:35 PM

So, it's the LCD and not the video card. I am using my desktop monitor just fine. I have to ask though, why can't I set a different monitor to be primary?

EDIT: Or, even better, disable the main monitor altogether so I can remove it completely?

Edited by sausage, 02 May 2011 - 07:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users