Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

License Exceeded Sonicwall

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NODie

NODie

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:48 PM

Hey Guys, hoping to get some assistance here. Basically I have a SBS 2003 server with 2 Nic cards, 1 external to a Sonicwal and one internal to the LAN. The internal Nic died and I replaced it. All seemed to be going fine at first, then after a few minutes about half of the client machines did not have internet access, but still had internal network access. I am now noticing an error on the Sonicwall about Connection being dropped because of too many IP addresses, Their are probably 8 computers plugged into the network. I have already purchased a new Sonicwall which will be delivered next week. I am hoping to get a quick fix that will last until then. I know that the only thing changed on the network was that Nic card, so somehow they was settings for the old NIC that prevented this sonicwall error. Right now the sonicwall reads 10 of 10 licenses used. Before the Nic switch it read 1 of 10 licenses used and all machines had internet access. Basically I think the way the old Nic was setup it somehow routed all users through the SBS first, then the SBS used the sonicwall as a gateway, which prevented this connection dropped problem. Any chance someone has any idea what I'm talking about (because I don't) and can help? Any help is appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

Unless another Sonicwall user happens to read this my suggestion would be to get a hold of Sonicwall Support.

#3 NODie

NODie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:54 PM

Hey ThunderZ, thanks for the advice. I should have mentioned this in my first post. I did call sonicwall support (which we pay for), they told me that they stopped support this Sonicwall device a few years ago, so I they won't help me or sell me extra licenses, go figure. This is why I ordered the replacement sonicwall, for a permanent solutions, the new ones don't have this license problem. Anyways, I'm still plugging away at this, worst case scenario is I'm going to replace the Sonicwall with a router/firewall for the moment, I just end up losing VPN connection for a few days. I would still appreciate any insight you all have, If I get pointed in the right direction I may fumble upon the solution.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:00 PM

My only thought then is that perhaps the MAC address`s of connected NIC`s may be logged in the sonicwall.

It see`s the new one as an additional one not a replacement.
But that does not explain the jump from 1 of 10 to 10 of 10.

Edited by ThunderZ, 30 April 2011 - 07:02 PM.

#5 midnight51

midnight51

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:50 AM

If I recall correctly there are ways to release the licenses on the firewall so you have will have new connections available. I was never on the device software/interface but a colleague of mine had done this and it was the solution to one of our problems.

Hope this helps in some way,
M51

#6 NODie

NODie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:32 AM

@midnight51
Thanks, you can release the licenses by simply rebooting the device, I found out that the problem was that we have man more smartphone users while only connected momentarily the sonicwall would store the IP's until a reboot which was needed almost daily. I did find a workaround but couldn't solve my original question. I ended up not only replacing the sonicwall but I bought another DIR-655 router and used an extra Static IP we had. Now all outbound traffic uses the D-Link router as a Default gateway instead of the SBS. This way the Sonicwall does not get triggered and we still have our VPN connection. Thanks a lot for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users