Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Free way to resize images?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mcdougal44

mcdougal44

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:28 PM

Hey all,

My laptop has a small screen size of 12.1" with a resolution of 1366x768. I've been finding it very hard to find wallpapers that are the right resolution/quality. I've already found a bunch of sites that adjust the resolution for you, but there are so many more awesome wallpapers that I'd like to have. But they're always either too large or too small. My other monitor is a 17" with the resolution of 1280x1024.

Does anyone know of some good free software that will allow me to re-size an image to fit my screen?

Thanks for the help :)!
Computer: ASUS UL20A-A1 laptop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:59 PM

Irfanview.
Resizing An Image Using Irfanview
There's a link to the program, in the tutorial.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:48 PM

FastStone Photo Resizer: http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm will let you resize images in bunches.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 mcdougal44

mcdougal44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:39 PM

Thanks guys for the reply :)!

I take a look at both of them....
Computer: ASUS UL20A-A1 laptop

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:40 PM

You're quite welcome, mcdougal44.

FastStone Photo Resizer: http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm will let you resize images in bunches.

As will, Irfanview.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:20 PM

Oh :)

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 windummy

windummy

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:59 PM

05-01-11 / USA!

@ mcdougal144:

Welcome and I'm a BC newbie too.

Many people using Windows Platforms already know this simple desktop screen imaging tip. But it is easy to forget.

And That Is:

You can open any JPEG image and assign it to your desktop as a backdrop by right click > drop down box > choose:

"Set As Desktop Background."

Please be sure that before you attempt my suggestion that your current & favorite desktop image is backed up.
That way you can always restore it to your desktop anytime you want.

Your best bet in doing this is to open up any JPEG image using Microsoft's XP Bundled "WINDOWS PICTURE & FAX VIEWER" prog. This will easily and instantly place any opened JPEG image onto your desktop as a Wall Paper in Full Screen automatically.

If you already have another photo imaging prog and it won't do this for you, this free one already installed in XP I mentioned will.

Just right click the JPEG Thumb a/o icon > drop down box > and choose "OPEN WITH" and Win Pic & Fax Viewer should be right on top. Just choose it.

This prog can be accessed by right clicking the JPEG as either:

1. A Thumbnail.
2. An opened image from that Thumbnail.

Instantly and just that fast.

It always helps if the original JPEG image has a good px and size ratio to it. For example, JPEGS shot on a cell phone at a px rate of 70 x 70 will be placed fully onto the desktop screen of your laptop. But they will be grainy and low quality to say the least. So, keep that in mind.

Here's a Great free site where you can see and down-load some "incredible" and breath taking high quality photos to consider using for your desktop.

Be prepared to say, "Wow!" after you see any of these for the first time:

PHOTO CLASSIC-dot-COM:

http://photoclassical.com/?start=225

Each image views rather large upon first seeing them. Be sure to scroll down to see the other two or three beneath the first one on that gallery page. When you select an image you like, > click it. It will expand more and ensure a great JPEG down-load. When done, use back browser button to return to that gallery page.
At bottom of that page you can also right arrow scroll to view tons more!

Consider also doing a little "set up" work by creating a primary folder to down-load images into ahead of time.
So that you can easily retrieve and choose from them all later.

It's basically a free share site and using their images for your personal use should not be a problem.

But as always, review their disclosure policies about this first.

Good Luck & Enjoy!

Re,

MH~

Edited by windummy, 01 May 2011 - 02:20 PM.

#8 blank.black

blank.black

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 11:37 AM

Does Irfanview resize a small image (say 200x200) to a much bigger size (600x600) without getting the image blurry? If not, then is there any other program out there that can help with the same?

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:30 PM

It all depends on the image quality.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 SilverDogg

SilverDogg

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:06 PM

in windows xp theres a great powertoy from microsoft to easily and fast resize images found here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-xp?T1=PT

is there anything like this for windows 7? cause this doesnt work for obvious reasons ;(

edit: i knew i should have googled better XP. found a clone http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

Edited by SilverDogg, 09 June 2011 - 12:13 PM.

#11 Jess_07

Jess_07

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:25 PM

Any photo edit site should help you. One I happen to use is photobucket.com.

#12 Nancy.Felipe

Nancy.Felipe

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:59 PM

the most basic, easiest and simple way to do that is to just simply edit it in paint and resize it there by right clicking the whole image and sketch/skew and stretch it by 25% horizontal and vertical.
hope that helped cause its what I do for my laptop and it always works

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:24 PM

Concerning sizing up...generally, it's hard to increase the size of an image...analogous to creating something out of nothing. The blurriness occurs because the actual pixels for that image...are fewer in number when trying to increase size...and the attempted fills to the desired size result in images that are just less sharp to the eye.

That's one reason why it's always good to retain your originals, rather than chopped-down images you have created.

Some software does a better job of attempting to go up the ladder...than others.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/resolution/a/increasingres.htm

Louis

#14 jameson

jameson

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:53 AM

Desktop Nexus Wallpapers has 100's of thousands of high quality wallpapers of every sort and automatically resizes any
wallpaper you choose to fit your monitor. In case you're interested you can find it here:

http://www.desktopnexus.com/

You can also choose to look for wallpapers that were created using your specific resolution.

#15 anjulZ

anjulZ

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:42 AM

PicasaI believe this program will let you. It's from Google & free
"Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of Bethlehem a Savior has been born to you; He is Christ the Lord."
Let us all remember the reason for this season!
May God bless You at least half as much as He has me!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users