Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

desktop icons turned to links and programs won't execute

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dtway

dtway

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:59 PM

I've worked with XP Pro for years and never seen anything like this. Last week when I booted up my to go to a file with computer, all of the icons became links with the blank page with a turned down corner and a blue E with a gold ring around it. When I click on an icon I get a screen titled File Download - Security Warning" followed by Do you want to open or save this file? Below that is the file Name, file Type:"lnk_auto_file, 1.56KB. Then "From: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop . . . and there is not room on the screen for the rest of the file location. Then, when I click on "Open" I get a flash of a download beginning and a flash of an Internet Explorer screen, followed by retuning to the original File Download - Security Warning pop-up.

I've used Explorer and gone to the .exe for a program and when I click on it, a screen pops up that is titled "Windows" and says "Windows cannot open this file" then the filename.exe followed by "To open this file, Windoes needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer. What do you want to do?" followed by "Use the Web service to find the appropriate program" and "Select the program from a list." When I select "Use the Web . . . ." I'm taken to and Internet Explorer page titled "Window File Association" which says Window has the following information about this file type. This page will help you find software needed to open your file." Then "File Type: Executable File and File Extension: .exe followed by a description of the .exe extension. When I click on "Search the Web" link, I'm take to a list in Bing of programs that I can buy to open any kind of file. When I choose "Select the program from a list" option, I'm taken to a list of programs with "Recommended Programs: Internet Explorer" followed by all of the programs that include Adobe Reader, M. Office Picture Manager, M. Office Word, and so on.

I'm stumped and so is my "go to" technician. He recommended installing Win 7 using PCMover Upgrade Assistant, but it doesn't work either. The computer will not boot from disk.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Duane

Edited by hamluis, 30 April 2011 - 02:16 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

Cheers,

Duane

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:16 PM

Have you run full scans with both your av app and MalwareBytes?

#3 dtway

dtway
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:03 PM

Yes, run everything under the sun. Finally gave up and installed Win 7 and will re-install all of the software from a backup as best I can. Thanks for the reply, tho'.

Duane
Cheers,

Duane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users