Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get floppy drive to work.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kemperhills

kemperhills

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:27 PM

Ok, I know that floppy's are are outdated, but I have a bunch of files that I created years ago when floppy was all you had.

I had an IDE floppy in my computer that I was using and one day I tried to open some floppy files and it said that the disc wasn't formated and did I want to format the disc.

I got a brand new floppy and it said the same thing. I tried to format it and got a message that said Windows could not format the disc.

So, I thought maybe the old IDE floppy drive had gone belly up. I ordered a new USB floppy drive from TigerDirect and installed it. It does the same thing.

Can anyone help me get this floppy drive working so that I can access the files.

I have an HP Compaq dc7600 small form computer running XP Pro, SP 3. The floppy drive that I ordered is a PowerUp G54-8016 external USB floppy drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know why the IDE floppy was working then quit, and now the new floppy won't work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:42 PM

Your disk's may simply be corrupted. I have had this issue before and found out the Disk's went bad.

#3 kemperhills

kemperhills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:46 PM

Your disk's may simply be corrupted. I have had this issue before and found out the Disk's went bad.

cryptodan, I appreciate you response, and I have a stack of floppy's 5 inches thick and it won't open any of the discs.
Also the discs were opening, then, viola, nothing. Surely all those discs didn't go bad at the same time.

Thanks again.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:15 PM

Well...you need to realize that floppies have a history of going bad, under various circumstances.

My experiences with floppies was that...running chkdsk /r on the floppy disk after it's placed in the drive...may make the media readable again.

Louis

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:26 PM

How were the floppies stored?

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:32 PM

Insert a bootable floppy, make sure the floppy drive is the first device in the bios boot order, and reboot. What happens?

Edited by Allan, 30 April 2011 - 02:36 PM.

#7 kemperhills

kemperhills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:07 PM

Hey, guys, I just went to my computer room, the computer I am now on is in my study, and opened the floppy's on an IBM that has an internal floppy drive in it. It opened the floppy, I could access all the files.

Wouldn't that suggest that when I had the IDE floppy drive in this computer and it quit working that something happened in the study computer.

Just asking, still trying to accomplish what has already been suggested. Thanks.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:28 PM

I still have one PC with 2 floppy drives, a standard and an external USB connected.
Great for data recovery when I run into a client in your situation.
Do not feel alone, many, myself included still have somethings committed to the old 1.25 media.

One thing I have found when dealing with floppy`s\floppy drives. There are two types of floppy media. A standard and a HD = High Density. While the drive in the machine will read just about anything I put in it, the USB attached has a tendency to choke, react as you describe, when trying to access anything other then high density floppy`s.

I am going to guess that the floppy disks you have are not marked\labeled as HD.
From there I will guess this is the reason one floppy will read them while another will not.

Edited by ThunderZ, 30 April 2011 - 03:28 PM.

#9 kemperhills

kemperhills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:07 PM

I still have one PC with 2 floppy drives, a standard and an external USB connected.
Great for data recovery when I run into a client in your situation.
Do not feel alone, many, myself included still have somethings committed to the old 1.25 media.

One thing I have found when dealing with floppy`s\floppy drives. There are two types of floppy media. A standard and a HD = High Density. While the drive in the machine will read just about anything I put in it, the USB attached has a tendency to choke, react as you describe, when trying to access anything other then high density floppy`s.

I am going to guess that the floppy disks you have are not marked\labeled as HD.
From there I will guess this is the reason one floppy will read them while another will not.

Thunder, thanks for the reply, but the floppy discs are HD discs. Also I just took the USB floppy drive to another computer in my house and it worked on that computer. So doesn't this seem to suggest that something has happened to the computer I am trying to use the floppy drive on. I tried to update the driver using the device manager but it said that it could find no better driver. I tried to go to TEAC's site and see if I could get a driver to see if the driver in my computer somehow was corrupted but couldn't find one.

I really don't know what else to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Running from one computer to another is too time consuming when I have a lot of work to do. Also, I have a 100MB USB Zip Drive and it works fine. So I wonder why the floppy won't work.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:08 PM

Insert a bootable floppy, make sure the floppy drive is the first device in the bios boot order, and reboot. What happens?

#11 kemperhills

kemperhills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:10 PM

Same thing as normal. It says the disc is not formated and if I try to format the disc it says disc cannot be formated. Thanks.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:14 PM

Okay, then this is simple. Try the discs in another computer. If they don't work, they are bad. If they do, the drive(s) are bad.

#13 kemperhills

kemperhills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:23 PM

Thanks Allan, but I have already tried that. Below is a quote from a previous post.

Thunder, thanks for the reply, but the floppy discs are HD discs. Also I just took the USB floppy drive to another computer in my house and it worked on that computer. So doesn't this seem to suggest that something has happened to the computer I am trying to use the floppy drive on. I tried to update the driver using the device manager but it said that it could find no better driver. I tried to go to TEAC's site and see if I could get a driver to see if the driver in my computer somehow was corrupted but couldn't find one.

But I do thank you for trying to help. :busy: :thumbup2:

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:25 PM

Sorry, I missed that. It does, however, seem that the problem is with the drive(s) and not with anything going on in the OS or with the discs themselves.

#15 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:50 PM

Internal floppy drivers are generic and are included in Windows.

Yes. This would seem to point to the drive probably suffering a mechanical failure.

Edited by ThunderZ, 30 April 2011 - 04:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users