Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2003 Won't Send or Receive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ever Learning

Ever Learning

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:47 AM

I use Outlook 2003 on a computer that uses Windows Vista Home Premium OS. I have used this program for several years without problem.

When I press the Send/Receive button, nothing happens, messages do not send or receive, and no progress status shows at the bottom of the screen. The settings for Outlook under Tools, E-mail accounts as well as under Tools, Options appear to be correct. When I test those settings, the test messages sit on the webmail server, but I just can't bring the messages down to Outlook. Not sure why I cannot open the Tools, Send/Receive, Send/Receive Settings, Define Send/Receive Groups option from the menu. I have not brought back my built-up .pst and am using a program default, blank one until I can restore the connection.

Three weeks ago my computer crashed. Foolishly, I restored files from a month old backup to my C:/Program Files folder. Eventually had to rebuild my system as well as totally restore from my MS Office disk, but wonder if a file was corrupted from the reload. I updated my files up through SP3.

I have run AV programs and malware programs, no problems have been found. I turned off the AV mail shield, but that made no difference.

My mail service provider will not respond to my inquiries, as they believe there is nothing wrong with the service they provide and don't feel responsible for what happens on my computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:04 AM

Any error messages regarding sending and receiving?

#3 Ever Learning

Ever Learning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:18 PM

No error messages. Simply nothing happens after I press the Send/Receive button.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:29 PM

Programs are designed to produce error messages to help diagnose issues. Look in the lower right hand corner for any error messages denoted by a yellow exclamation point. If you get no errors that means that you are using the program as intended.

#5 Ever Learning

Ever Learning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:55 PM

I just opened Outlook again and pressed the Send/Receive button. No yellow exclamation mark in the corner. However, I know there are messages in my webmail Inbox waiting to be pulled as well as a test message in the Outbox.

Any other thoughts?

The big mystery to me is why I cannot open the Send/Receive Groups menu option. Additionally, uninstalling and then reloading Outlook did not fix this problem.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:05 PM

I sent you a message to send me an email. put in subject line from BC.com

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:49 AM

Who is the mail service provider?

#8 shenandoah2

shenandoah2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:31 PM

I have outlook 2006....

Just sounds like the incoming/outgoing servers are not set correctly. Or, the default account is set to the wrong settings, if there is more than one account.

Maybe your ISP made changes but not of all of their techs are up to speed with those changes. You might bug your host again.....

I realize you have done some research into your settings for this, just hope you find the issue and will share it with us..... :)

Edited by shenandoah2, 03 May 2011 - 11:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users