Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Add new Hard disk & Install another Win XP Copy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wajeeh Rahman

Wajeeh Rahman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:06 AM

Dear Experts,

I have Dell Optiplex PC with one SATA 250GB HDD installed as HDD0 it has two partitions C and D and Windows XP Professional is installed on partition C. Now I want to add another SATA HDD of may be 300GB Capacity and want to install another copy of Win XP Professional.

I need steps how to do this, I have added hard drive to PC now I need to change boot order like CD ROM 1st boot device, HDD0 (Win XP already installed) 2nd boot device, HDD1 new hard disk 3rd boot device?

Then when I boot from CD how to select second new hard disk for windows installation? Please guide me for steps and also what needed to be changed in boot.ini file in HDD0 where windows is already installed so that when PC starts I see two Win XP options.

Waiting for reply.

Regards,
Wajeeh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:59 AM

Just why do you want to do this...why put the same O/S on a system?

What model Optiplex?

Do you have Dell XP/system installation disks?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 April 2011 - 11:59 AM.

#3 Wajeeh Rahman

Wajeeh Rahman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:26 PM

I want to run accounting program on second instance of WinXP so I need separate Windows Copy on second hard disk. This optiplex was Free DOS and I installed Win XP myself on it.

Let me know steps.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:11 PM

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users