Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost desktop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 BennyBoy

BennyBoy

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:01 AM

I was told to re-post here instead of the XP forum, although I am not aware of any virus. Topic referenced is here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic394571.html ~ OB My computer has just stopped working and I thought it was an XP Pro problem. I can't seem to carry out any of the actions suggested by the preparation guide - the computer just hangs, even in Safe Mode. I can't download anything. I thought I would re-install from the XP disc, but I was hoping someone could tell me how to hang on to my emails and email addresses if I reinstall.

Firefox started hanging on me yesterday so I rebooted. I don’t know what went wrong but it would only go as far as a blue welcome screen.

I have tried going back to 2 system restore points and although they have taken be beyond the welcome screen I only get my wallpaper – no icons, no start button, no taskbars.

After a restore it says a file was fixed or an earlier version used - but I still only get wallpaper - no desktop.

Sometimes I have been able to get task manager but when I try to run from ‘create a new task’, it just hangs with the timer and I can’t even type in ‘explorer.exe’ to see if that will help.

Even in safe mode I get a message straightaway that “Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.” If I try to close that message, it just refreshes the safe mode desktop and gives me the same ‘encountered a problem’ message and I am stuck in a loop. If I get out of the loop in Safe Mode, nothing works: clicking on icons or the start button does nothing.

The error signature
Event Type: InPageError P1 : c 000009c P2 : 00000003

C:\ DOCUME~1\Brian\Locals~1\Temp\WER31d.dir00\explorer.exe.mdmp
C:\ DOCUME~1\Brian\Locals~1\Temp\WER31d.dir00\appcompat.txt

As far as I'm aware, I had no virus - my paid-for avg is up to date.

I’ve got everything critical backed up – except some emails and email addresses.

Is there any way I can re-install XP without losing my emails and addresses? I'm feeling a bit lost without being able to do anything in safe mode

Thanks in anticipation for your help.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 01 May 2011 - 02:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BennyBoy

BennyBoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:36 PM

Close this one please.

Hardware problem, not virus. I bought a new hard drive.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:00 PM

Hello

Thank you for letting us know. I'm glad that your computer problems have been fixed. Since this issue seems to be resolved, this thread will now be closed.

In case you experience any problems with the computer, please start a new topic.

Happy computing,

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users