Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

should i install windows 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kaygie

kaygie

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:22 AM

could you tell me if it is necessary to install Windows 7? Im running XP on my Optiplex 260gx computer. I am wondering if it will soon be obsolete. I have never installed an OS but Im willing to try-with your help. I do not know how to back up files..ive only read about it. i know...i know, but ive never been there yet lol. how necessary is it that i learn Windows7? I do not have a whole lot of memory, maybe 1 gb. Is there anything that I need to know? Is there a download site for 7 or do i have to buy it? sorry if i sound dumb...but its cause i kinda am.

Edited by hamluis, 30 April 2011 - 02:42 PM.
Moved from Vista to Win 7.

The difference is too nice - Where ends the virtue or begins the vice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:42 PM

With only 1GB of RAM...I would either really run either XP or a linux distro. Even though Microsoft says 1GB will work...my experience is that you should never go by the stated minimum RAM for any version of Windows :).

I'm no expert but I don't think any system with 1GB of RAM should be running either Vista or Win 7.

Installing Windows 7 setup procedure - http://www.optimizingpc.com/windows7/windows_7_setup.html

Louis

#3 j0eshm0e711

j0eshm0e711

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:20 PM

Is there a download site for 7 or do i have to buy it? sorry if i sound dumb

Yes, you "have" to buy it.

If you have no problems with XP, keep it. Based on your post, I can tell you probably won't be gaming, so trying Linux might be something you want to do. You can use Linux to perform the same functions as XP pretty much, but the programs you use to perform those functions will be different, so it will take some time to get used to.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:55 PM

One other thought.

XP will continue to be supported until 2014. At least you have a bit more time prior to having to make a final decision.

Having said that. There is no one and nothing that says you absolutely have to change. There are some still running Win98 quit happily as it does all they need.

#5 rookiejournal

rookiejournal

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:23 AM

Windows 7 is pretty easy to install but I agree with hamluis that 1 GB of RAM won't cut. You will need 2GB.

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 04:14 AM

I agree with all of the above, especially hamluis' & Thunderz's advice/thoughts which carry much weight @ Bleepin Puter.

If you have any doubts, you can download install & run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15
go to the Windows 7 Compatible Dell Systems and System Requirements page http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_360683&isLegacy=true
A quick look @ the Drivers & Downloads page for your system shows no Windows 7 drivers (or Vista for that matter) so the point is probably moot anyhow.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users