Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed attempts , SP1 installs

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:35 AM

Hello, I started trying to update yesterday. I found 5-6 updates waiting to be applied , so i put a check in the critical ones and let windows go at it. SP1 was the second to last update to install. It seemed to hang and not install smooth . but it did finish and required reboot.
Once the system came back up, the login screen came up, i entered PW and OS went to black screen with just a cursor.
I rebooted in safe mode and was able to restore to a restore point before SP1 install. The system rebooted and all seemed fine. Web browsing and update opened and seemed to operate , but my game launcher and another prog. served up a warning ( Could not load file or assembly 'sortkey .nlp' or one of its dependencies the system cannot find the file specified). Discovered this today.
After searching through some best practice updating recommendations i again ran update and set up my system with firewall turned off and AVG resident shield disabled. I had run Malwarebytes and SAS the night before after the first seemingly failed attempt.
I put a check in only 1 update at a time this attempt, letting each of the smaller updates take place solo. Then SP1 again. This attempt seemed just as the first. The SP1 download was non-fluid and seemed to stick in large sections sitting on 99% for 10-Min., but it finished and installed to 30% and required reboot to finish.
Again on normal startup , after log in, my screen goes to cursor with no further visual than black screen <_< . At this point i figured I'd revert to a restore point and tackle the 'sortkey .nlp' issue and hold off on a sp1 install for a few months ,but no restore points are available any longer. None found to attempt, in system restore.( i had read this had happened to others)
Safe mode w/network goes to black screen as well, but I'm able to log in safe mode. I rolled back ATI drivers to no avail, and slipped newest driver toward use, though not in proper fashion (flash-drive and locate).
I have recovered an XP laptop by finding restore points in DOS enviroment in the past, now i find myself stepping back and hoping for Ideas on this one.
(Win pro 64bit)
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:12 AM

Microsoft Support has a article which you find helpful with this problem.

Your computer may freeze or restart to a black screen that has a "0xc0000034" error message after you install Service Pack 1 on Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:37 AM

dc3, thanks for the response. i do get the black screen, but no error message(just cursor). Once in safe mode, it shows sp1 installed. There is a failed attempt, in the update log but a subsequent success as current state. The Micro soft fix mentions the error msg. as key to need for "deleting the POQ entries from Pending.xml" . Without error message, is it still needed?
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:15 AM

Hey PCWarrior

Same thing (almost) happened to me, EXCEPT that I got the C-buncha zeros-34 error message & SP1 failed to install. (See my BC thread HERE start @post #30)Lomg story short, I ended up restoring to factory thru recovery console, reinstalling all my app, docs, music, etc from backup & DL'd and installed SP1 offline.

Without knowing what went wrong (Error code) in your case finding a fix without reinstalling seems pretty slim, IMO. Look for clues in the Windowsupdate.log:

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

Locating Failures in the log file
If you received a specific error message on the Windows Update Web site, follow these steps:

1. Open the Windowsupdate.log log file in Notepad.
2. On the Edit menu, click Find, and then search for the specific error message.

Note The Web site displays the final error message. This final error message may have been caused by a failure that is described earlier in the Windowsupdate.log log file. Additionally, if you do not know which error occurred on the Windows update Web site or you want to find more information about a failure by Automatic Updates, search for the following key words:

* FATAL
* WARNING

Hope this helps.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:50 AM

dc3, thanks for the response. i do get the black screen, but no error message(just cursor). Once in safe mode, it shows sp1 installed. There is a failed attempt, in the update log but a subsequent success as current state. The Micro soft fix mentions the error msg. as key to need for "deleting the POQ entries from Pending.xml" . Without error message, is it still needed?

Your description fits the rest of the criteria for their suggested workaround, if it was my machine I would give it a try. You can run BlueScreenView to see if the bugchesk is there. To find the bugcheck please download BlueScreenView BlueScreenView

No installation required.

Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Edited by dc3, 30 April 2011 - 10:54 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:20 PM

I will give both options a look. the error log may show some type of indicator i missed. Not sure if taking BSOD prog to thumb drive and dropping it on safe mode desktop will do but, ill do that as well.
I read another example of a fix where the orig copy of 7 was installed, but upgrade was selected. In that case the owner lost only acouple progs that 7 mentioned as incompatable before proceeding. Ill get on with your suggestions and report back, thank you.

#7 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:15 PM

Attached File  New Compressed (zipped) Folder.zip   91.49KB   6 downloadsI pulled up windows update log .

#8 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:36 PM

dc3? is this the sugested prog.? Your link didnt get me there but i did find this, http://bluescreenview.softlate.com/?gclid=CPfAupDwxKgCFQELbAodLi-bpQ .

#9 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:21 PM

I just logged in in safe mode, entered msconfig, them in selective start up i unchecked all 3 options(checks remained in a Grey state after apply). I unchecked all start up items before unchecking as well. I then rebooted
The system started ? not in safe mode.
ill start adding items to startup to see if i can find the offending .
Does this make any since . Or have i just bypassed a situation ?
In system info sp1 is installed.:whistle:

#10 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:25 PM

Your link didnt get me there but i did find this...

Link works for me.:whistle: Slightly off-topic: NirSoft by Nir Sofer...tons of GREAT lightweight FREE utils. I use his uninstaller...as good as & prolly better than Revo, IMO.

#11 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:08 PM

[quote][/qLink works for me.:whistle:uote] ?
My old system may have a setting blocking the link . just wondering if the site i found was correct:(

#12 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:29 PM

Not the same program. AAMOF the site you linked to seems a bit....dodgy...call it a gut feeling. "Free download...Free DL for Windows...Free FREE Free...splashed all over the page...using the name of a respected open source developer's free app...etc. I told you the name of the site: NirSoft by Nir Sofer. I thought you'd realize yours was not the same. :blink:

#13 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:37 PM

In system info sp1 is installed

What about add/remove and/or Installed updates? IIRC, you stated that in your "update log" it shows one SP1 update failed & one SP1 installed. Did you mean WU History? If so, right click the "failed" and select View details Should be an error message/ and or code/ and or reason it failed, maybe a "get help with this error" link. Example:

Posted Image

Edited by Union_Thug, 30 April 2011 - 08:39 PM.

#14 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:23 PM

Yes, i think it is WU i was looking at (if that stands for Windows Update). I am able to use the windows 7 PC again, so I'll retry link.

All seems to be working now , I'm not sure what (aside from turning all services off and removing all progs from startup, then logging in) I might have done to make it better. I have started all apps i normally use . They seem to work flawlessly. I enabled all services (i don't believe all were on when i stopped em in the first place) and put checks in all startups i wished to begin at log in. Only one Prog stood out . Zone Alarm could not be started in start up ( msconfig ), the check mark would remove its self every time i clicked on apply. I then went to services and looked for anything related to the prog. The only service that didn't start with all the rest was one related to ZA . I put a check in its box , pressed apply and it to reverted to a non checked state.

I went to ZAs web sit down loader the newest version and installed it (applied over old as directed buy, add/remove text). It starts and operates as well as before sp1 also . so IDK?

#15 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:27 PM

Yup the link works on this PC. It must have to do with security settings or something on older XP box.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users