Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Concerns about my current anti-virus.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Carbine556

Carbine556

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:23 PM

Hello, some hours ago I started browsing this website after researching about internet security and was impressed by it's content, so I decided to give it a go. I'm not very good with forums and I'm still improving my english, so I apologize If I come as cold or incomprehensible.

Anyway, on to my "concern". After lurking around the site for a while, I stumbled upon a disturbing fact: I was using an already unreliable (and slow, for me at least) Anti-spyware software: Ad-Aware. So I proceeded to uninstall it and got malwarebytes (free version) instead. I ran the quick scan, and found three virus registry keys and deleted them, then ran a full scan and it didn't detected anything.

Later, I read that AVG did a "wrong" move, or so to say, about endorsing peer-to-peer software (like Limewire), and found that it's not as reliable anymore. Now I'm in the middle of a dilemma, should I stick with my AVG suite (I'm running the 9.0 version), or should I change to another anti-virus? I also know that the full version of malwarebytes is not compatible with AVG, due to both of them having a real-time scanner, right? Or would it also not be compatible with other anti-virus software as well?

Thanks in advice. I hope I was at least somewhat understandable.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:06 AM

AVG is anti virus and MalwareBytes is anti spyware so there is no conflict. And the free version of MalwareBytes isn't real time protection anyway. Generally speaking, AVG is no longer recommended and should be replaced by either Avira or Avast.

#3 Carbine556

Carbine556
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:09 AM

I know that AVG is an antivirus and malwarebytes is antispyware. Just saying, I'm not new to this. I've had nasty infections that I've fixed myself, and the worst case I've had was with my second pc, back in 2005. I was so close to restoring my pc, but in the end the virus won. I lost everything... I was using avast!, and it didn't let me down until that day.

In 2009 I changed from AVG to Avira. Again, another malware struck my system, this time it wasn't deadly however, just annoying. It had installed a rogue anti-spyware and changed the background of my desktop. Although I was cautious (or lucky) enough to have made a backup some days earlier. I simply formatted my HDD and it was alright after that.

Thank you for the advice. I only had to be sure. From what I've seen, Avira detected most malware, so I may go with it again.

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:56 AM

Although I was cautious (or lucky) enough to have made a backup some days earlier. I simply formatted my HDD and it was alright after that.

That's an excellent practice.

I always make full image backups of my systems, about once a month, weekly file backups of my data, and daily file backups of my essential data.
And I also have an off-site backup of all my data.

Not only does it help you recover from malware infections, but also from other disasters like HD failures, stolen laptop, fire, ...

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 Carbine556

Carbine556
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:05 AM

Yeah, I learned that after that disastrous lost of my data. Always backup.

By the way, what program do you use to make backup images?

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:18 AM

By the way, what program do you use to make backup images?

Acronis True Image Home 2010.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:53 AM

If any conflicts between Malwarebytes' and another security program are reported, suggested solutions are usually provided in the Common Issues, Questions, and their Solutions, FAQs thread.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Carbine556

Carbine556
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •