Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Optiplex 755 Freezes after a couple of hours

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 valley_girl1919

valley_girl1919

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:37 PM

We have a optiplex 755 desktop PC at work and I just recently reinstalled the os which is xp. I have added the pc to our domain at work as well and everything seemed fine the first day, but the next day I noticed I could not remotely log into the PC and I could ping it but I could not remote in. I went to look at the pc and noticed that it was on but there was just the desktop backgound screen, I could move the cursor around but nothing else. When I say blank desktop, I mean it only shows the desktop and thats it, not any icons and the start button. I tried to do Ctrl+Alt+Del but that did nothing. I eventually just had to turn the PC off by the power button after it shut off about a second later it showed numbers 3 and 4 lite up on the tower and just shutdown. Once I turned it back on then everything came up fine, but I did notice once I typed in my windows login it took several seconds before it logged on, once logged on then everything was fine. I checked on it through out the day and about 5 hours later I noticed there was a blank desktop screen again and I had to turn it off by the power button I made sure that my network cable was plugged in and patched right. You would think if it were an network problem that I would not be able to ping it at all. When the blank blue screen appears it is still on the network because I can ping it. Also I have reinstalled the XP OS a couple of times and still no luck. The thing that is crazy is that a couple of weeks ago I had the dell tech come out and replace the motherboard and hard drive so I should not be having problems with this PC. Can anybody offer me any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:08 PM

Look in the Event Viewer to see what errors are showing up at those times.

Go to Start> Run and type in eventvwr.msc then press Enter.

When the Event Viewer opens click on Applications in the left pane.

If you double click on an error a description of the error will open. Click on the copy icon, (the copy icon is highlighted with the red square in the picture below), once this is done you can right click and paste this description. Please post the error description/s or Event ID/s in your next post in this topic.

Posted Image

Edited by dc3, 29 April 2011 - 11:09 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users